Author Topic: Books  (Read 790 times)

Sheila

Books
« on: Sep 10, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »
I registered to borrow e-books from the library and borrowed ‘Trust Me’ by Lesley Pearse.  I read this several years ago and the memory stayed with me.  It is fiction based on something that really happened.

Children were entrusted to priests and nuns and some of them were sent to Australia where they were treated very cruelly and abused.

It sounds like a miserable read but is fascinating and confirms my feelings about religion.

granny moss

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:27:54 AM »
Sheila. If you go and watch Portillo travel through Australia, it will take you to the area where these places were built to school and house and exploit those children.

I was put in a convent in Turin, for over 4 years.... Worse than a prison, believe me. If you watch the beginning of Jane Eyre, you will get an idea of what I am talking about. I was about 12 year old when I entered the place and left there...so it must have been about 1934....Only one nun was kind. The rest came from hell....gmx

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
There have always been adults who appear to get pleasure from abusing the power they have over children.  Its worst when in the name of religion or meted out by family members. 😢
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:55:53 AM »
At the end of the book, there is a factual account of the actions of some of the abused children who are now grown up.  A statue of one of the priests was erected and showed the priest (wearing shoes) holding a shoeless child. 

The children had to collect rocks to build a home, walking barefoot over very hot stones.  The priest had awards for his kindness, including an MBE.  Some of these abused people got together and sawed the head off the statue.

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:04:56 AM »
belated justice
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:13:23 AM »
My Italian friend was in a convent school connected to the Vatican.. She said the nuns were cruel and the children were very frightened of them.
When they attended a religious service they were NOT allowed to raise their eyes to look at the grand ladies in all their finnery that attended the service... They were considered wicked to dress as they did..
My friend was a young child of 5/6.. If she had an accident in her knickers she was made to wear them on her head for the rest of the day..

Nuns.!!  Priests.!! etc;  Some chose the job to fulfil their sadistic feelings..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
Sheila..I wonder if you've seen a film called Oranges and Sunshine?..Same subject and not an easy watch but beautifully done..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »
No zoony, I’ve not heard of that.

I don’t normally discuss religion but I am against some aspects of the Catholic faith.  My first m-i-l had five children and they all lived in a tiny two bedroom house with no bathroom.  The priest came round every week to collect money from her!

She told me that my children were illegitimate because her son and I had not been married in a Catholic Church.  Delightful grandmother.

A very good friend of ours was abused by priests when he was young.

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »
i think all the catholic churches chickens are coming home to roost
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2020, 12:55:14 PM »
My father was brought up as a catholic but he eloped with my mother and they were married in a registry office (It was wartime). The priest called on my mother and told her she was living in sin with my father and my sister and I were both b*****ds.

Although my father was brought up by an aunt who was catholic his mother married again when her first hisband died. Her second husband was someone high in the Orange order!!! The two sides of the family hated one another when I was a kid.

What a fracked up family. No wonder Im not religious.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »
Micky and I were married in Italy by a lovely gentle military priest (church of England). He made a chapel for us, in a large room at the City Hall. The monsignor at the Cathedral (my parish church ) refused to marry me to a English pagan, and they did not like children in England...

When At Costessey we had the shop and Jenny had to go to the local school run by the nuns, she came home one day and told me that sister Aden told her I was a concubine....

I am NOT religious anymore (man made...scams...) but I have a very deeph own faith and believe to my own God. He has been very good to me, wherever he is....gmx

Bee

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »
I registered to borrow e-books from the library and borrowed ‘Trust Me’ by Lesley Pearse.  I read this several years ago and the memory stayed with me.  It is fiction based on something that really happened.

Children were entrusted to priests and nuns and some of them were sent to Australia where they were treated very cruelly and abused.

It sounds like a miserable read but is fascinating and confirms my feelings about religion.

Sheila I used to read about Margaret Humphreys and the help she gave to these abused migrant children to find their real roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Humphreys
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »
Sadly, these are the sort of experiences, and they are a tiny, tiny, TINY proportion of the tales that folk across the globe have to tell, that make me feel that humanity would have been far, far better off if the concept of religion had never been born.
It saddens me because  Veronica and her parents and siblings were/are, devout Catholics. She knew that I was totally irreligious, and we accommodated each other’s believes/la k of believe and were happy together - happier than before for me, and certainly far less happier since until she died
It is probably the only thing upon which I agree with the view of Karl Marx  - religion is the opiate of the masses,
Mike apologies to whom I am sure that there must be some who find those comments upsetting,   but that is how I feel
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2020, 03:18:52 PM »

Sheila I used to read about Margaret Humphreys and the help she gave to these abused migrant children to find their real roots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Humphreys

So the film that zoony mentioned was about her?  I’ll have to see if I can find it on Netflix or Prime this evening.

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2020, 04:14:06 PM »
Most of  everyones comments regarding the nuns and priests and catholic church I have seen first hand, I was a convent girl too. There are few good ones out there but they are in the minority.

Those evil people in Australia, did they know anything of their Jesus at all? no my guess is they were sadistic misfits who would not have fitted in anywhere else in life, they hid inside religion making others lives hell to satisfy their own perversions.

I have no time for any religion, christian religions are so for away from their core beliefs of the teaching of Jesus, you could do them under the trade descriptions act.  As for importing a foreign religion with its prophet a slaver and a pedophile why? we have enough wicked christian's without other misguided people following that terrible muslim religion too. 

I am not taking a pop at anyone personally for their beliefs, ingrained indoctrinated religion since childhood is very hard to reject and see for what it is. Once you come out though and you do see it for what it is, its all about manipulation and control.