Author Topic: Books  (Read 789 times)

crabbyob

Re: Books
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2020, 08:34:56 PM »
i have mentioned before how most of my teachers were spinsters because their suitors were all killed in the trenches, making them sour old maids [not all of them] but i think most of the nuns were similar, frustrated ladies who took it out on the kids....
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Sheila

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »
zoony, we found the film on Amazon Prime.  It is very much like the book I read.  Hard going but very interesting.  Thanks.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2020, 10:01:00 PM »
Glad you found it chuck..A very sad history.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2020, 06:58:47 AM »
i have mentioned before how most of my teachers were spinsters because their suitors were all killed in the trenches, making them sour old maids [not all of them] but i think most of the nuns were similar, frustrated ladies who took it out on the kids....

You have described the teacher I had for three years.  A nasty, vindictive woman. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2020, 09:33:02 AM »
Can't manage to download it to post on here, but I have seen a Photoshop picture of Da Vinci's 'Last Supper' with some police officers standing this side of the table. Caption:-

I don't care who your father is, this is an illegal gathering

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bee

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2020, 09:58:12 AM »

You have described the teacher I had for three years.  A nasty, vindictive woman.

I had a teacher that enjoyed humiliating you in front of the class. I left school at aged 15 years and one month and on the day of the school leaving assembly I was in the cloakroom collecting my stuff when she walked in and asked if I had a job to go to, yes I said I start tomorrow her response to that was.....you wont be able to have so much time off then as you do now... to which I replied..............I won't need to because I won't be seeing you everyday....with that she walked out of the cloakroom.

I started in that job as a junior clerk and by the time I left 9 years later to have my first child I was office manergeress. :)
The only way is up....

klondike

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »
Can't manage to download it to post on here, but I have seen a Photoshop picture of Da Vinci's 'Last Supper' with some police officers standing this side of the table. Caption:-

I don't care who your father is, this is an illegal gathering

Mike
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
Thanks, Klondike - yes that's the one!
Mike 👍👍👍
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

em

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »
A bit like the landowner who watched a man walking across his lake:I don't care who you are,you are not going to walk on my lake.

crabbyob

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »

I started in that job as a junior clerk and by the time I left 9 years later to have my first child I was office manergeress. :)

and she was still humiliating little girls...sad lady...perhaps
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

granny moss

« Reply #25 on: Sep 13, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
I loved books so much....Every year, before school started in September, Mum took me to the Bookshop where the order for my text books for that year, was to be bought. At soon as we got home, I rushed to open and smell the books....They do not smell the same, these days.....different paper and inks.....The last book I have read was, Bob, a street cat....such a lovely story....I do not seem able to read more than a page, now....so sad....but I fall a sleep....same as when I watch a boring movie....I keep busy doing Reversi and very happy that I beat the computer at 9 out of 10 most of the time.... :D gmx

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »
It would be truer to say I am an agnostic. I dont disbelieve in a higher power which created the symmetry and order that is the universe. But I dont believe it either.

I was baptised by my parents into the Church of England but have never prayed since I was 11 years old. 
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »
i usually pray when i need help....lol....
i have several gods i can call on
non of them will help with the lottery tho