Author Topic: 19 years ago  (Read 657 times)

Michael Rolls

19 years ago
« on: Sep 11, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »
Was 9/11. I will never forget the pictures I saw that day
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

Re: 19 years ago
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »
rest in peace
we must never forget who did it and why
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2020, 01:25:25 PM »
Sadly, I think may already have
Mike

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »
I must admit that while setting one of those number block calanders this morning stirred nothing with me. Nor did "19 years ago".

Part of my lapse in memory stems from our colonial cousins doing their dates arsey varsey probably to spite us same as all their misspellings but I think the main part of it is despite the constant acts of terrorism taking a passenger jet full of people on a joy ride to paradise seems to now be virtually impossible as it has not been repeated.

I do recall first hearing of it in an office without universal Internet access. Initially I assumed a light aircraft had blundered into the WTC with a few casualties and it was quite a while before the story of what had happened got through. It may even have been the radio news on the way home where anything like the full story got through to me.

We have still not recovered from the follow on effects. I could understand the action against Afghanistan but never could see why Bush and Blair decided they had to depose Saddam Hussein. The after effects of that will be with us for many years yet.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »
It didn't click with me either because of the about face way the Americans do their dates.  Everyone remembers where they were on that awful day, along with the day Kennedy was shot, I remember that so clearly too.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:07:13 PM »
I'd have been 13 when Kennedy was shot. As a13 year old boy an American president getting shot was not something than impacted me at all and I remember nothing from that day.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:53:26 PM »
i was in sanitorium when Kennedy got shot, and it was a shock..
but 9/11 i was sitting in the car waiting for my wife to exit the bank, i was listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon when he read it out, he gave the impression it was a light aircraft, then as we drove home he announced another had also crashed into the twin towers, so i rushed in and put the TV on,and was horrified for the rest of the day... i knew an american college professor who was due to take his students up the tower that day, then we couldnt get in touch with him, and we thought the worse.... but the trip had been cancelled and he and the class were safe...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
Like 9/11, Kennedy’s assassination will stick in my mind forever. I was 26, had just got home from work when the news broke. In an exhibition of crassness that defies belief, the announcement was immediately followed by ‘Emergency Ward 10’ with the opening shot a guy bandaged like a mummy. Took about five minutes for someone to cut the programme off.
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »

but 9/11 i was sitting in the car waiting for my wife to exit the bank,

Was you doing a bank job..?
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
dont be silly

she was doing the bank job, i was an innocent passer-bye

GrannyMac

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:13:55 PM »
😊 Of course she was Crabby!

JFK was shot less than two weeks before my father died suddenly. I was 17. Everything paled into insignificance then.  💔
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
Of course it would, granny. The first awful experience of my life. Obviously mum knew his condition was terminal, but at 14 I had assumed he would one day get better, even though he had been bedridden for two years
Mike

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »
Just read that 9/11 was our biggest single incident loss to Islamic terrorists too. 67 British citizens were killed surpassing all attacks on our soil. I should maybe have known that and perhaps once did but had forgotten or never seen it presented in that way before.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2020, 06:53:25 PM »
It was one of the causes of th e demise of the Concorde service. Apparently a lot of the folk who used Concorde were high level business people shuttling back and forth between London and New York. BA might have thought modifying Concorde after the crash worthwhile had the bottom of its market not been knocked out.
Pretty insignificant as as effect, of course, compared to the horror of the event
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2020, 11:47:08 PM »
I was in my office at the University with full internet access when one of my students rushed in and told me to watch CBS news. While we were watching the second tower came down.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.