Author Topic: England v Australia ODI  (Read 2573 times)

zoony

Re: England v Australia ODI
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04:11:59 PM »
Hey Mike..In case you missed it..Fred Trueman on Desert Island discs.. ;) 
Doh! Forgot the link..https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b03755ry
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
One thing that did surprise me - that stumping by Buttler which finished the game was his 36th across all formats. Had I been asked I would have hazarded a guess at half a dozen, if that! Only Godfrey Evans has made more stumpings for England - 46. However, whereas Evans completed his haul in 91 Tests (no one-day internationals back then), Buttler has needed 235 matches
Mike
Far more slow bowlers in Godfrey's day. Laker, Lock, Wardle, Appleyard etc and Knotty was joined to Underwood too.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
 Dry true, and my own feeling is that, as in so many things, practice makes perfect. Godfrey and his contemporaries spent a lot more time keeping to spinners than do the modern keepers. It’s funny, but for the life or me, I can’t remember if I ever saw Godfrey play.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2020, 06:40:58 PM »
Hey Mike..In case you missed it..Fred Trueman on Desert Island discs.. ;) 
Doh! Forgot the link..https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b03755ry
Thank you, sir
Mike

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »
So far, all these Aussies games have given me great pleasure seeing Warner "out for nout" on every occasion! Why is this cheat allowed to play international cricket? I feel the ICC have let the side down with not banning for life such a blatant cheat!!
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »
Many people feel similarly C-C, others that he's been humiliated and served his time so should be allowed to play again...I'm in the latter camp but understand how you feel.

cowboy wisdom.

Cassandra

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2020, 10:58:08 PM »
So far, all these Aussies games have given me great pleasure seeing Warner "out for nout" on every occasion! Why is this cheat allowed to play international cricket? I feel the ICC have let the side down with not banning for life such a blatant cheat!!

Completely agree with you, along with Smith, and Atherton too - they all knew exactly what they were doing. Quite how the mainly Asian gag of offenders (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricketers_banned_for_corruption) are ever allowed to play again, merely reflects their dominance nowadays as capital replaces honour. When for example did you see a batsman 'walk' after an appeal for a catch behind. Gone are the halcyon days when scruple endowed the game I loved.

'Black Lives Matter' 'de facto' demonstrates how this game is administered it seems?

The last named offenders are mainly for game fixing (international gambling by organised crime), but it could be argued that ball fixing is conglomerate in this aim as well? The modern game is generationally deceitful in it's very constituent as its declines with most 21st Century standards anyway.

As a boy I saw the great Neil Harvey caught behind in a tight Lords Test match. The ball had been picked up at ground level, it was a brilliant scoop. He merely turned and nodded at the fielder (Fred Trueman) - who responded similarly, signifying it was a catch and he walked. He didn't even give the umpire a glance. I never forgot that act and it influenced my standards by it's chivalry.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2020, 04:28:06 AM »
Sadly, those days seem to be gone forever. Like, I hope, many, I was appalled at Atherton’s dirt in the pocket antics.
On the Pakistani no ball shenanigans, I never understood it. What bookie in his right mind would accept a bet that X would send down a no ball in such and such an over?
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:47:14 AM »
Thinking about the amount of spin nowadays – and therefore the amount of exposures to it that keepers get, I looked at Moeen Ali and Jim Laker. I’m not suggesting that the two are comparable in quality, but as our current Test off-spinner one presumes that Ali is the best we currently have, whilst no one would dispute Jim’s status.
Looking at first class (including Tests) returns, Ali has currently played for 15 seasons (I was surprised it is that long) and has bowled 263.3 overs per year (.3 meaning 3 balls), taking 24.53 wickets per year at an average of 37.94.
Over his 18 year first class career, Laker sent down 938.4 overs per year, taking 108 wickets per year at an average of 18.41.
The disparity in the amount of bowling (never mind the quality, feel the width) is enormous. Even if you add in the bowling Ali has done in 50 and 20 over games, he has only bowled 378 overs a year, taking 42.5 wickets a year at an average of 37.80.
Looking at those numbers, it is hardly surprising that our batsmen often struggle against spin, and our keepers seem happier standing back than at the stumps – they don’t see enough of it.
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
Thinking about the amount of spin nowadays – and therefore the amount of exposures to it that keepers get, I looked at Moeen Ali and Jim Laker. I’m not suggesting that the two are comparable in quality, but as our current Test off-spinner one presumes that Ali is the best we currently have, whilst no one would dispute Jim’s status.
Looking at first class (including Tests) returns, Ali has currently played for 15 seasons (I was surprised it is that long) and has bowled 263.3 overs per year (.3 meaning 3 balls), taking 24.53 wickets per year at an average of 37.94.
Over his 18 year first class career, Laker sent down 938.4 overs per year, taking 108 wickets per year at an average of 18.41.
The disparity in the amount of bowling (never mind the quality, feel the width) is enormous. Even if you add in the bowling Ali has done in 50 and 20 over games, he has only bowled 378 overs a year, taking 42.5 wickets a year at an average of 37.80.
Looking at those numbers, it is hardly surprising that our batsmen often struggle against spin, and our keepers seem happier standing back than at the stumps – they don’t see enough of it.
Mike

I agree, but don't forget Laker had the huge benefit of bowling on uncovered wickets.

That said I know whom I'd rather have bowling for my life today between him and old beardy!

Probably David Allen of Gloucester was the last good off spinner we had and I include the mouthy Swann in that opinion. Allen had a better batting average too!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
Uncovered wickets - good point, although I am sure that, regardless of the wickets, we would agree that Jim would stand out
Mike

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:46:30 PM »
Changed my mind about the lady commentators..Used to quite enjoy hearing their thoughts on stuff but that was when they were balanced by our best males. I wonder whose bright idea it was to bring in new commentators because they were great players? Very wrong..One or two have perfectly acceptable voices and broadcast manners but most are dishwater dull in every respect. I'm talking to you James Anderson OBE and Sir Alastair Cook to name but two..I want to remember you as the outstanding, world-class players you were, not as voices I listen to and doze off. Horses for courses.

cowboy wisdom.

zoony

« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
FFS!! ..Two balls, two wickets...Noli desperandum chaps!!..Just a flesh wound.. ::) ::)

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »
Er - whoops?
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:17:18 PM »
Must say I have a bad feeling
Mike