Author Topic: Facial recognition  (Read 329 times)

Michael Rolls

Facial recognition
« on: Sep 13, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
No, nothing to do with cameras in the street. One of my favourite programmes has long been Yes Minister/Prime Minister, I fell to wondering if there have ever two actors capable of expressing so much without saying a word - just by facial expression - as Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

Re: Facial recognition
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
No, nothing to do with cameras in the street. One of my favourite programmes has long been Yes Minister/Prime Minister, I fell to wondering if there have ever two actors capable of expressing so much without saying a word - just by facial expression - as Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne.
Mike

And never forget that it was / is a true-to-life comedy.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
Comedy? I thought it was a docudrama.  :)
So long and thanks for all the fish

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »

I fell to wondering if there have ever two actors capable of expressing so much without saying a word - just by facial expression - as Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne.
Mike

Mr Bean  ?  😃

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »
Comedy? I thought it was a docudrama.  :)
I still think is!
Mike

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
I have recently enjoyed re-runs of both series. Just as good this time round. ;D

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2020, 12:22:07 PM »
I take the point about Paul E and Nigel H but without the right script their subtleties are wasted..Kudos to Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn for coming up with and writing both series.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »
Very fair comment
Mike 👍👍

Cassandra

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2020, 05:56:19 PM »
Mike

There's a wonderful short scene towards the end of 'Its a mad, mad, mad, world' where 'Spencer Tracey' as the corrupted Police Chief and 'Buddy Hackett' (Micky Rooney's accomplice) just stand looking at each other and then grins slowly materialise on their faces as their cohorts search frenetically for the "$330 big ones buried under the Big DubbleYa" in a park in Santa Rosita California. Priceless!
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »

Cassandra... I saw that film the other day.. It was as good as I remember.. Some classic scenes..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »
Never saw it, but it sounds good
Mike

Cassandra

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »

Cassandra... I saw that film the other day.. It was as good as I remember.. Some classic scenes..

Scrumps, My all time favourite comedy film. Cast, script and sequencing in perfect harmony, a masterpiece. Every time I watch it I see something different. The punch up between Terry Thomas and Milton Berle caused absolute chaos during filming because it was so funny to witness that neither actors, stuntmen, crew and other cast members watching could refrain from bursting out with laughter apparently. At one time the two actors plus both their stuntmen ended up on the floor together with Terry Thomas saying "I say you're an absolute shower" which bought the house down.

The coupling of Phil Silvers with Johnathan Winters as 'Pike' (The long suffering truck driver) is just pure genius - the chemistry between them, movie magic.

Cassandra

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2020, 07:40:10 PM »
Never saw it, but it sounds good
Mike

Mike treat yourself its a great lifter and I think its quite cheap on ebay I'll send you the link.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
Thank you, sir
Mike