Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 842 times)

crabbyob

Hobbies
« on: Sep 13, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
i'm sure we have all had a dabble at one thing or another
i have always enjoyed writing, if only to entertain myself
but i also enjoyed football, but was really crap, all arms and legs and not one iota of skill, but played till i was 40...
then i took up match fishing, and really enjoyed it for twenty years, i dont go match fishing anymore but still wet a line now and then...
i also golf, but alas had a very unhealthy year last year, and the big casualty was my golf..
but what might surprise you is i love magic, but once more my fingers are thumbs, more a Tommy Cooper than a Paul Daniels.... but as in my writing, i still thoroughly entertain myself...
what about you lot, any secret hobbies
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

Re: Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2020, 09:48:11 PM »
Absolutely mate..but they're secret.. 8)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2020, 11:52:11 PM »
I do have one "secret" hobby but if I told you what it was I'd have to kill you!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
Reading I see as a hobby, I'm never without a book. I liked drawing when I was young, but didn't keep it up.  I enjoyed the time I had part share in a cabinet/selling area in an antiques centre.  We never made much money, but the point was (for me anyway) sourcing items, and researching them. 

I know a little about hallmarks and ceramics, so I'm useful in the charity shop, as its an area the younger people aren't always knowledgeable about. The staff put items to one side for me to look at, and I often make up the boxes for Ebay.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »
what are these boxes sold as on e-bay granny
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »

I love entertaining/feeding and organising family events.. We have a carboot challenge next Sunday..
Bringing things back to life with paint.. Both you and I seem to enjoy writing crabby..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
and were not alone on this forum, Scrumps, there are plenty others

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:27:51 AM »

Coffins maybe  ??????

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
are you bidding for one Sparky?....lol... how high might you go?

sparky

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:45:17 AM »
Crabby, for the deluxe model, heaven knows.

Sheila

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »
I've always enjoyed making things.  I knit cannula sleeves for the local hospital.  People with dementia tend to pull out their cannula so, if they have a sleeve with lots of twiddles to fiddle with, it stops them.

There is a facebook page for the group and all the sleeves are safety checked.

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:57:58 AM »
While my father was in hospital I saw a doctor come up with a novel solution for that. The patient in a bed across the ward was forever pulling his out to the consternation of the nurses. The doctor produces a length of the same sort of tube and gave it to the bloke. He happily played with that and left his cannula alone. It lasted all the while we were visiting my father.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
Ive always been very creative with my hands. My grandmother taught me to crochet and embroider and i also love patchwork. I never latched onto using a sewing machine. I much prefer to sew by hand. Its very relaxing.

My sister does a lot of fancy knitting but it was something I never got into. I dont like to follow anyone elses pattern or directions and prefer to experiment for myself.

Like some of you people I also love reading. When I read a book its like a video playing in my head. I also do creative writing.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »

Ha ha not sold as boxes! We have special boxes to fill and send. Some donated items are quite valuable.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
I've had quite a few hobbies over the decades - model aircraft, cycling, rifle and pistol shooting, photography, cricket, but now am reduced to playing chess against the computer
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!