Author Topic: lock down,  (Read 397 times)

Alfred

lock down,
« on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »
now that this dreaded coronavirus has started rearing it ugly head in parts of the u.k could we see the return of people entertaining and amusing them selves.

for example  card games, Ludo, tiddlywinks, and all the old past time favourites we enjoyed playing when we were children ,

even though we live in a computer and android age, where by electronic games is favourite with young people today , could the old favourites stand a chance , or has the world of electronics taken over completely,
what are your thoughts regarding amusing your selfs during a lock down.

Ashy

Re: lock down,
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
I asked my wife last night if she would like to play tiddlywinks. This nasty black eye is the result.

Raven

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »
I pretty much did my online jigsaws and listened to audio books. Also knitted another few sweaters for the coming winter.

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:55:26 AM »
In an age where toddlers can amuse themselves with a mobile phone and H&S would dictate that highly dangerous things such as tiddlywinks (swallow or take your eye out) along with dice and any other small items mean the games boxes would have big warning on them I reckon the days of anything but tablets and phones are numbered.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »

oop's!! Wrong thread.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »
I play chess against the computer, read a lot and watch You Tube and Netflix videos. Provided the 'no non-essential journeys' isn't re-imposed, a further tightening won't really affect me. There haven't been six or more people in this house since Christmas 2018 (and even then, over the holiday period the amount of time with more than four people would have been just a few hours), nor is there likely to be in the near future.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:06:38 AM »

I play Candy Crush.. and Poker.. No money involved.. I just like to test myself..
 I do crosswords and cryptic crosswords on a daily basis..
I also have family gatherings with tasks involved..

and I paint anything that doesn't move.. ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
Candy Crush was why I forward any email from Facebook directly to the bin. I keep the account because occasionally some family member or other texts or emails me to take a look at something they've posted. Apart from then I never log in and certainly can't be bothered to look through the multitude of options that would stop me being notified every time somebody I possibly know has been playing it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:13:34 AM »
What's Candy Crush - apart from it being mentioned on here, I've never heard of it
Mike

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »
It's a video game. Available on many platforms. Possibly quite good as it seems to be popular but I've never tried it.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:17:35 AM »
Thanks

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »
There haven't been six or more people in this house since Christmas 2018
Mike

There haven't been more than six people in any of the three houses we've lived in since 2011 when we got married.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Traveller

« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
We have a good collection of jigsaws which we do at home- usually 1000 + piece.  When we go away in the camper, we don't take a TV, laptop or phone.  We listen to the radio and do 500 piece jigsaws.
Virtually all the jigsaws came from charity shops - anything from 50p to £2.
You'll have had your tea.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:15:02 PM »
I regard buying jigsaws from charity shops as living dangerously  ;D

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »
Same here - cant recall when there were last 6 people in my house. I was telling my nephew if there was a curfew he would have to arrange to arrive and leave an hour early on a tuesday evening when he comes over. He pointed out that as we are a "support bubble" and he brings my meals and provides me with help to do certain essential jobs then that comes under exceptions to lockdowns and curfews.

I will just take his word for it as I no longer watch the news or read the regulations.

He was once stopped by the police when walking here. He told them he had meals for his elderly disabled aunt in his rucksack and would they like to see them? They just waved him on.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.