Author Topic: is watching televison becoming a bore?  (Read 2868 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: is watching televison becoming a bore?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 18, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
If television is boring you switch it off, and turn your mind to other things. If I was stuck with BBC and ITV channels I wouldn't be doing much viewing at all. Television is a killer for many old folk who become couch potatoes. I am not going to allow that to happen to me so I am keeping as active as possible.
Good point
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Cee Gee

« Reply #61 on: Sep 18, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Yes...not only boring but also very annoying. >:( 

Scrumpy

« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »

For some the TV is their only life line .. Being active is fine if you have the body/energy to do so.. A jigsaw on the go could give some respite and of course the good old crossword..

I think I'll bake a cake... after my coffee..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Hugh

« Reply #63 on: Sep 18, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
In many cases Scrumpy they have made TV their only life line. My late disable wife took up doing cross stitch patterns. Must admit it must be extremely hard for any one living on a state pension. I am fortunate to be able buy my way round my disability. Gym membership so able to exercise in a swimming pool. Purchase a buggy for golf and taking Roxy for a walk.

crabbyob

« Reply #64 on: Sep 18, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »
its not so bad
when you think back when we were kids
the man of the house came in, washed, had his diner [not always in that order]
sat down with a newspaper beside the radio and remained there until bedtime
unless he had to batter young crabby of course, that was his exercise [not every night thank god, but often enough]... but how boring was that for a life, ok when i got older i learned how to bob and weave, so that entertained him also, but what kind of life might that be for you and i... my son is bigger than me plus i sent him to boxing classes...sigh, we dont even have a cat i could kick...
so i will just concentrate on following the govt code-lines and keeping my head down, i have several masks in my car and i now park switch of claim a mask, walk across the carpark then just before entering the store, i put on my mask, i select a trolley go thru the doors spend a few minutes sanitizing the trolley and my hands then orf i jolly well go, either i dont understand social distancing or no other bugger in Cambridge does, but i do my best, as i hope the rest of you do...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #65 on: Sep 19, 2020, 01:45:56 AM »
I find it difficult to watch TV for much more than an hour at a time unless the program is more demanding than most. Thats probably why I enjoy sci fi, Shakespeare, very complex political and psychological serials and the like. I dont think I could watch it day in day out as some folks do.

Mostly I watch TV while Im packing or doing embroidery as these are manual jobs which dont engage me mentally.

While Im working at the computer I like fairly loud background music on unless Im listening out for a caller/delivery. The music drowns out whatever may be happening outside (including unwanted callers)
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.