Author Topic: is watching televison becoming a bore?  (Read 2867 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: is watching televison becoming a bore?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »
As far as I see it, the fact that some of them were recorded a decade or more ago means that if I were to watch them now it might be a moot point. However, I expect to record more programmes - for example, quite possibly this evening’s cricket highlights, over which no argument. I need a licence to do that legally
Mike 😢😢
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #31 on: Sep 16, 2020, 05:50:39 PM »
I watch nothing on the BBC but had to pay the £157. In UK I believe you are breaking the law Alex.

klondike

« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2020, 06:21:22 PM »
I'm sure she isn't. What do you think she says she does that requires a TV licence? She already said weeks ago that she has pulled out the aerial.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #33 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:25:11 PM »
i understood that the licence was not about BBC programs, but the licence was to use a TV receiver... even a VHS machine was a receiver that required a licence
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:29:49 PM »
That’s my understanding as well. Anything capable of receiving a TV signal
Mike

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2020, 09:40:28 PM »

You do not need a TV licence to own or possess a television set.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #36 on: Sep 16, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
True - provided you don't actually use it - but in that case, what's the point of having it? You could claim that it is linked to a DVD player to provide a screen and you only watch DVDs that are not recordings of live transmissions on it - but if the Gestapo come snooping - could you prove it?
Mike

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #37 on: Sep 16, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »

You do not have to prove your innocence Mike, they have to prove your guilt.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #38 on: Sep 16, 2020, 10:09:19 PM »
That's the theory - so how come people get fined for not having a licence provided they have that defence? Surely not everybody who falls foul of the licence legislation doesn't have a DVD player?
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #39 on: Sep 16, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
In 2018 - latest figures I can find - 129,446 people were prosecuted for not having a licence. Wonder what the level of proof was - and don't forget, that means those people now have a criminal record
Mike

Alex22

« Reply #40 on: Sep 16, 2020, 11:41:41 PM »
I watch nothing on the BBC but had to pay the £157. In UK I believe you are breaking the law Alex.

I'm not breaking the law Hugh, I did look into this before making the decision to cancel.  This is the email I received.

TV LICENSING
 DARLINGTON
 DL98 1TL[/size]  

Tel   :  0300 790 60

Thank you for your recent email, which has been recorded under your reference 1-144XXXXXXX. Please use this number if you wish to contact us again.

I can confirm that the TV Licence is now fully cancelled and it's registered that you don't watch or record live broadcast TV by any means at the address.

No further emails will be issued regarding this matter.[
 Yours sincerely[/color]  
 Stacey Godden[/color]  
 Customer Relations  

If you have sight problems, you can get this information by email or in Braille, large print or audio by calling 0300 790 6076.    

Hugh

« Reply #41 on: Sep 17, 2020, 06:22:52 AM »
I understand you need A licence just to be able to receive Alex. So how do you get catch up TV ?

GrannyMac

« Reply #42 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
The cost is less than 50p a day. Although I might not approve of the way the BBC spends money, I'll keep paying.   We were due for the freebie this year when OH turns 75.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
Like you, Granny. I don't regard 50p a day as unreasonable to be able to access the many TV and associated services now available. However, what I do object to is the fact that only the BBC benefits from the licence fee, its clear bias in areas in which it is supposed to be impartial, and the profligacy with which it throws licence payers' money around. I was really shocked to see that Lineker was paid £1.75 million pounds last year - for what? I understand that there are many others on the payroll being paid eye-watering amounts for very ordinary tasks.
On a personal basis, I scarcely watch BBC TV programmes - I will be going on to I-player a bit later to watch yesterday's cricket. I watched the similar I-player cricket highlights from Sunday and last Friday. No idea when I might watch another BBV offering - and those highlights - three hours viewing in all, are the only use I have/will made of BBC services over the last ten days - and before that only the earlier cricket highlights going back to at least teh last couple of months and most probably a good bit longer.

I am in the happy position of being able to pay the fee without any problems, but I am sure that is not the case for many over 75.
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:28:11 AM »
At keast you qualified for the free licence for some years Mike! 😀
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais