Author Topic: upgrading on androids and tablets.  (Read 777 times)

Alfred

upgrading on androids and tablets.
« on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »
Recently my Samsung tablet, said i would no longer be able to watch the itv hub,
admittedly my tablet is getting on a bit and it originally was a 3G  Model,
the latest androids and tablets and so on are now 5G

although i can still watch and use my Samsung it seems that with the upgrading the manufacturers are once again ensuring that to enjoy some of these channels another purchase will be needed if you want to carry on as before,

so much like everything else in this world as many electrical appliances have a sell by date it seems this upgrading of 5G will at some time in the future go up to 6G ,to boost sales of tablets and android appliances.

Q; have you noticed this , unless you have the latest model /s

Diasi

Re: upgrading on androids and tablets.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
Are you sure your tablet has the ITV Hub & not the ITV Player?

https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000161454-Mobile-Tablet
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alfred

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2020, 09:18:47 AM »
Hello Diasi,

i certainly had the itv hub from quite some time,  but now  cannot down load it as it is, according to the hub unable to down load at all  , I'm assuming that because G5 has come into operation this must be the reason as iv tried everything else

i can get it on my amazon five years newer, from memory,

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2020, 09:35:59 AM »
Hello Diasi,

i certainly had the itv hub from quite some time,  but now  cannot down load it as it is, according to the hub unable to down load at all  , I'm assuming that because G5 has come into operation this must be the reason as iv tried everything else

i can get it on my amazon five years newer, from memory,

It's nothing to do with 5G but sometimes apps stop working when they're updated & an old version of Android stops supporting them.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
well it seems that that was why it suddenly stopped ,

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
I had a perfectly good but somewhat old 7 inch tablet which was suddenly unable to upload the BBC app and several others I use. I just upgraded to a 10 inch tablet with a slot in for a phone sim.

It annoys me that some of these apps will not work on tablets, only on phones,

I prefer to work on a proper computer but tablets can be propped up anywhere so you can watch them in bed if that floats your boat.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
I had a perfectly good but somewhat old 7 inch tablet which was suddenly unable to upload the BBC app and several others I use. I just upgraded to a 10 inch tablet with a slot in for a phone sim.

It annoys me that some of these apps will not work on tablets, only on phones,

I prefer to work on a proper computer but tablets can be propped up anywhere so you can watch them in bed if that floats your boat.

My new 10" tablet has a SIM slot so I've put a SIM card into it & I can now use it as a phone if I need to.

I divert my my mobile phone calls to the tablet when I'm using it.

I agree about the apps as I've got one that doesn't show properly on the tablet.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2020, 05:09:36 PM »
That's really puzzled me (on matters computer not hard). What sort of tablet takes a sim card? I have an I-pad and an Amazon Fire, neither of which have any ports other than those to charge or connect to the computer
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
That's really puzzled me (on matters computer not hard). What sort of tablet takes a sim card? I have an I-pad and an Amazon Fire, neither of which have any ports other than those to charge or connect to the computer
Mike

They're not actually tablets, the correct term is phablet but it's easier to say tablet instead of having to explain you don't have a speech impediment.

Mine's a Teclast T30.

https://www.teclast.com/en/zt/T30/

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
Thanks Phil - I'd not heard of them
Mike

richmond62

« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »
This is an old "trick" where the hardware producers are in bed with the software providers,
pushing Thee and Me to continue to pay money for new devices when the device we bought 2 years ago
is perfectly respectable.

The mobile phone and tablet lot are the most wicked as their operating systems are almost
impossible to crack.

I dumped (well, gave away) all my tablets about 4 years ago, and stick to computers.

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
Unless you buy an already outdated tablet it won't become obsolete in a couple of years. I was moaning about an iPad I bought for my wife in the forlorn hope she may become less technophobic being obsolete now but that is 10 years old. It can still run the stuff it had installed but times have moved on and it has no support for current software.

Many trade their phones every couple of years or even every year. Older models are still sold new as cheaper products but they won't perform as well or have as long a lifetime as the current models. All of them will continue to run the stuff on them until they actually break but they won't run newer stuff because the hardware as well as their software simply isn't up to it.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:51:27 PM »
Bring back the quill pen, that’s what I say!
Mike

richmond62

« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:53:29 PM »
I do all my mark calculations in my school with the Slide rule my father gave me as a 14th birthday present.

Best thing is that the battery never runs out.  8)

klondike

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:06:20 PM »
Probably not as accurate as an abacus though  8)
So long and thanks for all the fish