Author Topic: NHS covid app  (Read 1854 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: NHS covid app
« Reply #30 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »
Cassandra, your final paragraph seems to sum things up, in my far from humble opinion
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #31 on: Sep 26, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
I have been saying this from the onset but its good to see that some of the deeper thinking members have come to this conclusion.
I don't know about the onset but you certainly have for a long time.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #32 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
The fact that very few people with no pre-existing health conditions have died is no comfort to Sheila who has a serious pre-existing respiratory health condition, so her view & anxiety will be different from someone who hasn't got a serious pre-existing respiratory health condition.

I think that she's right to take all the advice & precautions, which won't kill her if they turn out to be not needed, but could kill her if she ignores them & they do turn out to be needed.

That's how I see it, if it makes sense.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:05:07 PM »
Obviously so and the answer is unpleasant but equally obvious - keep as isolated as possible. No reason for the entire country to do so though.

Diasi

« Reply #34 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
Obviously so and the answer is unpleasant but equally obvious - keep as isolated as possible. No reason for the entire country to do so though.

But for people like Sheila I can understand her wanting people to take all the Government advice & measures.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #35 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:24:20 PM »
It's probably better for her they don't. The more that get infected the more chance they will acquire immunity and so naturally stop the spread.

The only sensible thing those with vulnerabilities can do is protect themselves by keeping away from others.

Cassandra

« Reply #36 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:27:00 PM »
It's probably better for her they don't. The more that get infected the more chance they will acquire immunity and so naturally stop the spread.
The only sensible thing those with vulnerabilities can do is protect themselves by keeping away from others.

Exactly my concept. I have a friend 10 miles away with a COPD condition. As I said retain your individual beliefs and isolate, as indeed he does as much as possible. At 75 I do, but I have no desire to mix anyway.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

zoony

« Reply #37 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:32:55 PM »

I've mentioned before that the immunity gained from this is proving to be frustratingly short-lived and is not to be depended on. Of course, that may have changed like everything else and I have no up-to-date knowledge of it so..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #38 on: Sep 26, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
I've seen a lot of stuff from respectable contributors that the reason this virus didn't do through the population like a dose of salts given the pretty lack lustre actions it was possible to take to stop it was that there is a lot of pre-existing immunity from exposure to other reasonably similar corona viruses. Nobody has come up with any convincing data about length of any immunity conferred one way or another so far as I'm aware.

In short I certainly don't know but I am sure that if they don't catch it there is less chance of them having immunity and their actions whatever they may be should have little impact on somebody self isolating.

Something from the BBC
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200716-the-people-with-hidden-protection-from-covid-19

Several studies have shown that people infected with Covid-19 tend to have T cells that can target the virus, regardless of whether they have experienced symptoms. So far, so normal. But scientists have also recently discovered that some people can test negative for antibodies against Covid-19 and positive for T cells that can identify the virus. This has led to suspicions that some level of immunity against the disease might be twice as common as was previously thought.

Most bizarrely of all, when researchers tested blood samples taken years before the pandemic started, they found T cells which were specifically tailored to detect proteins on the surface of Covid-19. This suggests that some people already had a pre-existing degree of resistance against the virus before it ever infected a human. And it appears to be surprisingly prevalent: 40-60% of unexposed individuals had these cells.

Ashy

« Reply #39 on: Sep 27, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
That is very interesting and sounds like a realistic summary.