Author Topic: 10.00pm pub closure.  (Read 692 times)

brian54

10.00pm pub closure.
« on: Sep 26, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »

richmond62

Re: 10.00pm pub closure.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
Frankly I do not understand this one bit:

Has some quack advised the government that one is more likely to catch Covid-19 after the witching hour?

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
On the other hand it might mean that the punters get [censored] earlier and finished with a carry-out. There are times when I think the government are as daft as a rotating brush. In any case it is quite clear that most people under 70 have little to worry about.

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
A woman driver wrote off my car at 3.30pm once.  She was not socially distancig very well.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:24:18 AM »
In any case it is quite clear that most people under 70 have little to worry about.
I'm glad to see another PF forum member outing himself as having some sense and following the science.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
Maybe the old licensing laws actually served us well.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
If all pubs, etc., close at the same time - regardless of what that time is - you will see the same effect. Years ago pubs in Australia used to close at 6pm - guess what happened immediately after?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
When youngsters want to get rat arsed they surely will. Pub prices high - sink a load of cheap supermarket booze before going out. Still not drunk enough at kicking out time? Switch the pre-pub drinks to favour spirits over cider. Shut the pubs - they'll just go to each others homes and drink supermarket booze. This is all a total waste of time and will just make more bar staff skint.

Jacqueline

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »
When youngsters want to get rat arsed they surely will. Pub prices high - sink a load of cheap supermarket booze before going out. Still not drunk enough at kicking out time? Switch the pre-pub drinks to favour spirits over cider. Shut the pubs - they'll just go to each others homes and drink supermarket booze. This is all a total waste of time and will just make more bar staff skint.

Did people of our age now go out purely to get drunk when we were young?  I went to the pub to meet my friends, we couldn't have afforded to drink to excess.  Not saying I didn't have too much to drink on quite a few occasions, but we never behaved like the young do these days,  never needed police, ambulances and A & E on standby, and I lived in whats now greater London.

Stop supermarkets selling cheep booze, maybe they would stock more of the things I actually want instead of isles of booze.  Go back to old fashioned off licences. 

This nation has turned into a load of party mad boozers.

biglouis

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
I was never much of a pub goer as a girl/young woman because of the smoking (in the olden days). I used to go there to meet my friends before we moved on to a club, restaurant or (in the really old days) a dance hall. It was somewhere to meet up, and not to sit i all night. We could not have afforded to do that. Drinking was something you did with a meal or to meet socially - not a full time occupation.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03:35:58 PM »
I was never much of a pub goer as a girl/young woman because of the smoking (in the olden days). I used to go there to meet my friends before we moved on to a club, restaurant or (in the really old days) a dance hall. It was somewhere to meet up, and not to sit i all night. We could not have afforded to do that. Drinking was something you did with a meal or to meet socially - not a full time occupation.

Exactly,

From what I have seen getting stupid falling down drunk is the object of an evening out.  Get a life!

richmond62

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »
I fail to understand this: I can always tell when I know I've had enough.

I remember a midsummer party on South Ronaldsay, about 36 towmond syne, and over about 24 hours I probably drank about one and a half bottles of whisky when, suddenly, I knew it was time to go awa ben.

So I left, and walked home; well. mair like a shoogle than a lowp forbye.

Mind you, it did take me two days to walk 5 mile: but that was because after the second mile the sun was just warming up and there was a nice, comfy patch of grass just by the road; so I stretched out and had a sleep. Was woken up about 6 hours lady bearing a cup of coffee and bacon and eggs from the house on the other side of the field. Qhat a braw lady: But then I'd sairted out her bust bailer the previous year.

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:03:07 PM »
These days I know when I've had enough. I drop off to sleep. T'was not always so though.

Coastal

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »
I fail to understand this: I can always tell when I know I've had enough.

Sadly. to some that would be waking up face down in last nights regurgitated dinner,
I honestly can't remember the last time I was in a pub at (or anywhere near) closing time (I used to go at lunch time but not since the first lockdown)
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
It’s years since I was a pub in an evening, probably nearly 20
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!