Author Topic: Africa...  (Read 1345 times)

firenze

Africa...
« on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »
watching Africa on t,v. i am reminded of living in South Africa (Benoni)  a Stay whilst my husband established the framework for a new factory. Less than a year  but enough to absorb a flavour of the place.  I wouldn't have missed the experience but delighted to get my family back to the Wet wet wet!  My daughter worked in Jo'burg my son went to school and I had hebe jebees till they came home in the evening.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Jacqueline

Re: Africa...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:47:47 PM »
A work college's farmer husband was murdered during a robbery on his farm in South Africa, her inlaws live in a armed guarded and gated community in Pretoria, I'm sure your better off here.

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:01:36 PM »
Too true Jacqueline, a wonderful country but the gap between different nationalities was huge and it was like walking a tight rope you kept falling off! 

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Bee

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:33:58 AM »
I too have lived in South Africa a place called Kirstenhof, I was never happy there and never felt safe or comfortable, the Afrikaaners did not welcome the English as they were still ''fighting'' the Boer war with us, I could tell you many tales but for me it would stir up too many unpleasant memories...15 months later we were transfered to Hong Kong and as I walked through the front door of the flat that had been allocated to us I felt the whole world fall from my shoulders, I was much happier living in Hong Kong, I made many good friends both English and Chinese, my children were much happier and the schools were much better.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:57:38 AM »
Some friends of ours lived in Hong Kong back in the 70s and loved it. They were there for three years and Gary, the husband, went back to the Welsh village in which he had been brought up by his granny for a quick visit. Popped into the pub and mine host greeted him with 'Hello, Gary, not seen you for a bit - been on holiday?'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bee

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
That is so typical. ;D ;D ;D
The only way is up....

BB4ALL

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2020, 09:44:23 PM »
Lived in SA for 35 years. Saw apartheid in 1974 on arrival and couldn't understand it. Met the Dutchmen and realised quickly what was going on. Lived in Witbank, Jo'burg (Alberton), then back to Witbank and the coal mines. Returned here in 2009 and of course I do miss SA, not the people, but the way of life which has a great climate which was fantastic. Kruger National Park the most relaxing place I have ever been to in my life. Still have friends there but they say it'll never change, it's now reversed apartheid and going like Rhodesia did. No surprise there then.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
it was explaned to me that the Africans were child-like...
if you leave a child in a sweet shop, you know what will happen
but would you ever give that child a gun?
a great man in the eyes of BLM gave his children guns
and the rest is history
a very bloody history
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:52:33 AM »
Ive only been to the Arab bits of Africa - Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:50:38 AM »
I'm sure it's not news to anybody that if you turn the map upside-down, Africa is by far the dominant feature, geographically, on our side of the world and, given that we began there and left as soon as we could, I wonder if it's where we'll all end up again in the end. Driven to find refuge in the hostile and barren wastes left behind by those who usurped us.. Which by then will be recovered and re-greened due to climate-change and altered rainfall patterns and be a very desirable place to live with lots of wide-open spaces. And around we go..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »
Climate change need not be friendly to Great Britain. We owe our current mild climate for our latitude to the Gulf Stream. Consider we are more on a par with Canada than the US and compare our winters with those of the northern east coast US. One of the ideas of what may happen with climate change is that the melt waters from the ice cap may divert or stop the Gulf Stream leaving us with a far less temperate climate. Is that true? Who knows? Is any of it true?
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »
plus the lowlands might just sink into the melted waters
in the good old days before that Dutch guy drained the Fens
Doncaster was almost costal Bawtry ten miles away was a port
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »
We were on holiday somewhere near Rye and there was a circular castle that had once been a coastal defence and ended up a mile or more inland from silt deposition. All that would be reclaimed for sure. My house is 75m above sea level and close to a river flood plane so not sure about that. My caravan is right at sea level just the other side of a coastal bund so that would turn into a boat for sure.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/camber-castle/
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:39:26 AM »
Mmmm! It looks like a tray of cakes.