Author Topic: is history repeating itself all over again.  (Read 638 times)

Alfred

is history repeating itself all over again.
« on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:27:09 AM »
Thinking back to my past when at that point i was like many people then just after W.W.2 our economy was full to bursting as high employment was ripe and it was easy to get a job, very easily,

how ever many years before that the 1st world war, many thousands of families, were unemployed, many men at that time were then the bread winners or providers of bringing  home the money , that's if they got any work at all , even though men working say in the docks and surrounding businesses, were lucky to get a days work , let alone a weeks work ,

the wives and mothers of families had a very rough time of it as well with children having to be fed and clothes and with very little money if any helping them at all . employment was very bad , and shoes that had holes in them were patched with card board,

now in the 21 century although the situation is different, much of the past problems seem to be reoccurring once again, as today many people are also unemployed , as food banks are busy helping people survive in todays so called modern world,  as our government  is desperately seeking to kick start and boost the economy

Q; so is history starting to repeat it self , all over again, what are your thoughts regarding the state of the u.ks  situation at this present time,  is there an answer??? 

granny moss

Re: is history repeating itself all over again.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:58:56 AM »
The world is overpopulated and the natural resources do not replace themselves fast enough to provide the needs of the time. It takes hundred of years for forests to replace themselves...and only a couple of decades to be destroyed...and mineral resources are getting in short supplies...land is disappearing under tarmac....and so on....I will not be here to see what will happen because my future is running out fast !!!! :D gmx

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
My answer would be yes, history, or at least the conditions that made our history, are repeating. The country will deal with matters differently this time. Pay will not be cut this time, government borrowing for current expenditure will increase, and of course inflation will smoulder away again.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »

History does repeat itself... Plagues , unemployment, crime has all been seen before..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
as our government  is desperately seeking to kick start and boost the economy,
From what I can see of it they are doing their level best to shut it down.
So long and thanks for all the fish

sparky

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »
Alf, As you point out, Life was a struggle for many folk, like my parents, in London's East End, in the 20/30s. but at least following WW2, as most businesses and production was labour intensive, the ability to get a job, to work and  improve our lives, to the point where our lifestyles now are almost luxurious by comparison , but nowadays with ever more automation, where will the jobs come from for most folk, so although we had the trauma of WW2 to cope with, I am glad I am at an age, where I no longer  need to plan a lifetimes working career.   

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
Me too
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
My father was a casual worker on the docks when he came back from the navy. It was casual day labour work. He was big and strong so he nearly always got picked.

I can remember going to school with holes in my shoes and cardboard in them.  I also remember being bought horrible second hand clothes from a market in Liverpool and expected to go to school in them. On both occasions my grandmother had to buy me new Clark's shoes and a school uniform. My parents were always rowing about money and the two phrases I can most remember hearing are "You cant keep a family on one man's wage" and "Ive only got XX in my purse to last the week."

Yes its nice to be on the scrap heap and no longer a "productive" citizen in comfort. We can sit back and watch the rest of the world go to hell in a handcart. Never did understand that expression.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
LUXURY!! We used t' get up 'alf an 'our before we went to bed, eat our own toes for breakfast before cleaning out the rustin' water tank that were 'ome to six families and a diarrheic goat...... etc
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:53:04 PM »
Goat???? you had a goat????
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
A goat? There’s posh!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:58:49 PM »
depends on its function.... ::)
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »

(Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort.  'Farewell to Thee' being played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.)
Michael Palin:  Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.
Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?
Terry Jones:  You're right there Obediah.
Eric Idle:      Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?
MP: Aye.  In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
GC: A cup ' COLD tea.
EI: Without milk or sugar.
TJ: OR tea!
MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.
EI: We never used to have a cup.  We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
TJ: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
MP: Aye.  BECAUSE we were poor.  My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'
EI: 'E was right.  I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'.  We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.
GC: House?  You were lucky to have a HOUSE!  We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture.  Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!
TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM!  *We* used to have to live in a corridor!
MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor!  Woulda' been a palace to us.  We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip.  We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us!  House!?  Hmph.
EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.
GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!
TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE!  There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.
MP: Cardboard box?
TJ: Aye.
MP: You were lucky.  We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.  We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out.  When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
GC: Luxury.  We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
TJ: Well we had it tough.  We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.
EI: Right.  I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'
MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
ALL: Nope, nope..
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »
depends on its function.... ::)
Tsk Tsk  ;D ;D ;D
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »
sorry chaps that was a wee private joke between Mike and I...