Author Topic: is history repeating itself all over again.  (Read 637 times)

klondike

Re: is history repeating itself all over again.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:13:08 PM »
Ah. Grass. Shame on me  :(
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:15:19 PM »
Ah. Grass. Thank you Lord..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:18:22 PM »
BL. I'm confident that people knew the root of my post as we've used it before many times. But thank you for taking the trouble to point it out.

cowboy wisdom.

biglouis

« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2020, 11:11:55 PM »
Im sure that people did know the root of your post! However the original is so hilarious - how they get from sipping their wine to living in a gutter - that I consider it is no less funny after all these years. That and the dead parrot are my favorites. I also loved upper class twit of the year which was probably made for Digitalis to ponder upon.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2020, 12:45:40 AM »
I remember the original well as I watched it attentively..I saw Python humour as one of the ways forward in those black and white days of Industry, Brylcream and docker's omelettes 'round here and a small part of why I legged it at 15.

cowboy wisdom.

granny moss

« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2020, 07:33:44 AM »
Reading how some members childhood in England was  in such poverty, I must have been lucky that my father had a secure job in the Italian State railways. We had free private medical care.Free travel in Italy and 50% off in foreign countries.

I month during the summer, at special places by the sea or mountains, where we were treated so absolutely well and well fed....Christmas parties with presents parcels. And I, as a daughter, could have lived with mum and dad without having to go to work, as my father was getting a good allowance for me until I got married, from the Railways....He had a secure permanent job, and we had good food and wine, regularly. I then at 19 got into the State Post office, on the permanent staff, with all the rest of the perks.....

When I married Micky and came to England, I left all of that.....I must really have loved him !!!!   My clothes were hand made to measure, so were my leather shoes.  I never gave it a thought about anybody else not having the same.  gmx

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2020, 09:47:46 AM »
Our family was split down the middle - my mother was cast out for eloping with a working class man. My cousins were brought up like that - all their clothes from The Bon Marche which was the best shop in Liverpool. I would have given anything for their cast offs. Unfortunately my cousin Kathryn was much smaller boned than I so I was never able to make use of her dresses. The only decent clothes I had were those bought for me for school by my grandmother.

My first real money to spend on myself came when I was 14 and got a part time job in the Greek chip shop. That was where I learned about selling. The chip shop man said "If they ask for a fish suggest they get some chips too. If they ask for fish and chips always ask if they want something to drink as well." They call that up-selling now. Like a lot of youngsters I was good at it.

granny moss

« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2020, 06:01:46 AM »
    BL.  Re-reading your post, I understand  more about the way you feel about life. I apologise for my lack of knowledge of the hard times some were having in England. My assumptions were wrong. I am eating humble pie. gmx

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2020, 10:10:15 AM »
We all have our history.

My parents' backgrounds were also mixed.  My father came from a well off, professional family, his father was a pharmacist with a couple of shops. Mum was one of seven, what was called 'respectable working class'.  Dad never got to finish his education because his parents separated, and he left school to support his mother.  A clerk's job in the 1920s was respectable, but not in the same bracket as his friends who inherited family businesses.  I grew up mixing with some of them, in their large houses, and also with my closest cousins on my mums side who lived with my aunt and my gran in a council flat.  I didn't really know where I fitted in.  I spoke like the well off kids, but didn't have their lifestyle. 

Dad died, I married young, I met my husband at 16, and we struggled for a few years after we left Scotland.  We've worked hard to do the best we could for the children, and I know my parents would have been so proud of their achievements. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »
My "best" friend at school was an only daughter of a man who ran a coal delivery business. It was a real case of "where there's muck there's brass!"They had a large detached house with plenty of empty quiet rooms. I often wondered why we were friends because like my cousins all her clothes were new and fashionable. I used to wonder what she saw in me because I was so poorly dressed until I got the chip shop job.She was one of those people who was able to look past the exterior and we are still friends to this day.

I used to go to her house twice or three times a week to study because the sight of me with an open book so antagonized my father. As a result of the family split he hated the middle class and distrusted education because it would give me "unrealistic ideas above my class" (his exact words).

Later in life - when I tried to have it out with my parents as to why I was regularly beaten and my sister never touched, they accused me of making it up and it was in "my imagination". However I also kept in touch with my old school friend when I came to live in Manchester. When I told her about this she said "I can remember you having to come to our house to study. You had often been crying and there were big bruises on your arms. My parents noticed and so did I and that was not in our imagination."

granny moss

« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
I wish you all the best of everything you are working for. You made me so sad.  But I think you are very strong to have survived your "missed happy childhood" You can do with a nice HUG, and I am sending you one. granny mossx

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2020, 04:47:24 PM »

Its a well known fact that people who are abused when children often go on to abuse their own offspring. When parents are strict with all their children then the offspring can accept it more easily. One of my school friends (not the one with the big house) came from a rough working class background. Their father drank and was often out of work. He beat her, her three brothers and sometimes her mother too. So at least they could rationalise that dada drank and treated them all badly. My sister was never touched.

When one child is picked on they grow up wondering "whats wrong with me" and with a terrible anger in their heart and a wish for revenge. I have a fearful temper and might easily have inflicted that upon my own children if they did not turn out as I wanted them to.

I had no wish to inflict such a miserable childhood onto some poor kid so my decision never to have children was a pragmatic one. We cant own our children or make them over into a reflection of what we wish for ourselves.