Author Topic: Having or not having children....  (Read 212 times)

granny moss

Having or not having children....
« on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:38:42 AM »
Is it a selfish decision to have children, when the future ahead is so insecure ?  When we are young and get married, do we have children because of the pressure we get from would be grand parents? 

Do we have babies to gratify ourself ? Is it a selfish decision ?  A biological need ? Micky and I after that terrible war and then the A bombs and Iron curtain, decided not to have children. 

After ten years, the world seemed a better place, so we had 2, one of each, and decided that it was enough.  We thought that we could afford them and provide for them.

I am still wondering if our decision was wrong...But they and their children and grand children seem so happy.   It is so difficult for me to know. gmx

GrannyMac

Re: Having or not having children....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2020, 07:36:26 AM »
The future has always been an unknown, who knew Covid was coming?  GM you had children who you love, and who in turn love and care about you.  If none of us had children, who would look after the sick, who would develop systems to let us shop from home, build houses, etc., etc.

I'm an only child, so I knew I'd never have just one child by choice. We too have a daughter and a son, they are adults we are proud of.  Our grandchildren are growing up with good manners and consideration for others. 

However, I think its selfish to have children and not care about them, or not try to support them financially, or treat them badly. Another thread touches on children in care, many of those children are the result of selfishness.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

richmond62

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »
I agree completely.

My Mum and Dad had myself and my sister, and did their best for us, which, inevitably, looks wrong in certain ways because, by definition,
parents are always wrong.

My wife and I have 2 boys (now 28 and 25) and, owing to the "joys" of the Corona-Virus and the lack of jobs, most of our income is being used to prop them up: something neither of us resent as they are 2 sound, loving chaps who we are extremely privileged to be the parents of.

Of course, if you are that type of person whose attitude to having children is a bit like my attitude towards going to the loo:

Drop it and don't look behind you.

Then you should have had your "tubes" done, preferably before puberty!

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
Perhaps all those extinct species thought the same way.
So long and thanks for all the fish