Author Topic: Tenterhooks  (Read 782 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Tenterhooks
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2020, 06:25:54 AM »
No. That's how my brother went, in his sleep at home. Veronica died in hospital, but with all the family around her. Sheila, my sister, died in hospital but with only the staff with her, and as she was in a side room, she died alone. There's no good way to go, just some worse than others.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »
Granny Moss, dropping off to sleep in our own bed is probably what we'd all choose.   Or at very least a peaceful passing. Please try not to worry.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »
If how, where and when, we are going to die, is the only thing we have to worry about, we can class our selves as very fortunate. With so many losing their income and homes, they do have good reason to worry.

granny moss

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2020, 10:14:59 AM »
If I start to think of how so many people have lost so much and all the stress they have....and the children and young people...What Have they to look forward to ?

I would probably go out of my mind.  I pray that I may be able to have a real good cry, so to release a bit my emotions. But I find I have no tears left...
gmx..

crabbyob

« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »
i hope Mr Trump took his own advice and injected bleach
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »
I think he must have. He's been cured in double quick time.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2020, 12:22:57 PM »
It's time he went and visited the "Covid ICU" in one of the hospitals, then admit he never had it, it was all show for a dose of the sniffles.  >:(

Hugh

« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
If people in the USA believes the tales he spins good luck to them it will show just how stupid they are. And could cost them dear.

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2020, 01:30:28 PM »
I think he must have. He's been cured in double quick time.

I'm sure that there is an awful lot of in-depth investigation and scrutiny going on by people and organisations that despise the man and his politics. Fish anything's iffy we'll soon know about it..Look out for some really good fake news..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
I imagine he had it. For the very good reasons you mentioned. Very bad responses to the virus are the exception not the rule unless you were pretty unwell before you caught it.
So long and thanks for all the fish

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Oct 09, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »
I saw him on TV yesterday..That's a man who loves to gloat. and gloat.. I think the fact that so many millions in the US adore him indicates a very basic difference between Americans and Brits.?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
I suppose it is, to an extent, a demonstration of what a disparate, polyglot is the USA. We look upon the UK as a pretty mixed society nowadays, but I often think that the USA must be the most 'mixed' nation on earth. Not just mixed in terms of race, but look at the sheer size of the place, and the enormous influxes of nationalities it has accommodated.  And then there is its relatively recent history - the war between the states still reverberates in some places and in some echelons of society. OK, it ended 155 years ago, but the ramifications went on for many years after 1865. There is also the factor of 'states rights' - something quite alien to most of folk in the UK (nationalist groups apart).
I could go on, but I can sense the eyes glazing over - what it boils down to is that trying to understand America as though it somehow a Britain writ large with a few tweaks - after all we speak the same language (well, most of us do) - is totally wrong, It is very, very different. Folk here who can't understand why Trump has such a following are making the mistake that, again, American politics is similar to our own - it isn't.
MIke

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:17:24 AM »
Interesting post Mike.  Their states are like separate countries, with very different rights and laws in some cases.  I will admit to knowing little about their politics, or why Trump is so popular. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:38:36 AM »
Thanks, Granny. As you say, in some respects individual states seem almost individual countries.
A late correspondent friend was a Texan, and George very much regarded himself as a Texan first, an American second, a attitude, apparently, far more common in the South and West (apparently few ‘true’ Westeners and Southendrs regard California as ‘West’, more ‘weird’!) than here, although one must bow to Yorkshire!
Again, the size of America comes into play. Away from the big cities, small town America seems far more conservative than we would recognise.
I think much of Trump’s popularity is based on who he isn’t . Obama was a big disappointment to many of his supporters, and Hilary Clinton looked much like Obama Mk II. I think that alone may have been a strong influence on floating voters.
Mike