Author Topic: In honour of Brian  (Read 241 times)

zoony

Re: In honour of Brian
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:08:36 PM »
I'm sure it seems like that to them but I remember some of the teachers I had and many of them were insecure enough to physically bully and mistreat kids using canes, slippers, ruler-edges across the knuckles etc., on their whim whilst ignoring kids who did the same, sometimes under their direct gaze, at break-times.. Didn't do me any harm? Well it bloody well did and I'm glad to say goodbye to respect demanded but unearned..
Sorry for the tone but it still makes me angry sometimes..
A man said: You can always tell a lady, but you can't tell her much.. (Moliere maybe?)

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:09:57 PM »
Well, my family includes two current, two retired, teachers, and their experiences demonstrate a very marked reduction of respect for teaching staff than was current in my day 64+ plus years ago
Was that respect or fear though. If we stepped out of line it would have been sorted quickly and painfully.

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
I'm sure it seems like that to them but I remember some of the teachers I had and many of them were insecure enough to physically bully and mistreat kids using canes, slippers, ruler-edges across the knuckles etc., on their whim whilst ignoring kids who did the same, sometimes under their direct gaze, at break-times.. Didn't do me any harm? Well it bloody well did and I'm glad to say goodbye to respect demanded but unearned..
Sorry for the tone but it still makes me angry sometimes..

Agreed. I love the fact that my grandchildren are encouraged  rather than admonished.

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2020, 12:24:28 PM »
i was brought up in a tenement,,, they had an 'A' team and a 'B' team and the good news was, the A team always looked after the B team...and so is life, you just need a friend in the A team
every hill has a down side, even Benny Hill

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
Me too Crabby, eight flats in ours, with only one child, me.  Three or four of the tenants were what was known as maiden ladies. A retired governess on the top floor, a retired teacher, two sisters who lived together etc.  It wasn't like the tenements some of my school friends lived in, with one toilet per landing serving several families!  We had a bathroom. Posh, eh?  Some of the living conditions were pretty bad, they made the back to backs in the north of England look desirable.  At least in a terrace house people had a bedroom, not a bed recess!  And I bet very few would know what a single end was! 

crabbyob

« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
we also had eight flats, four upstairs and four down, three loo's on the landing for eight families, and always spotless

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:30:08 AM »
This is beginning to sound like one of those Monty Python discussions. Luxury, sheer bl***y luxury!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:32:11 AM »
 ;D  It has quite a way to go... ;D
A man said: You can always tell a lady, but you can't tell her much.. (Moliere maybe?)

crabbyob

« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »
ok we shall refrain so not to offend your gentle....erm....ermm

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Thanks crabby but my gentle isn't easily offended..