Author Topic: In honour of Brian  (Read 789 times)

zoony

Re: In honour of Brian
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:08:36 PM »
I'm sure it seems like that to them but I remember some of the teachers I had and many of them were insecure enough to physically bully and mistreat kids using canes, slippers, ruler-edges across the knuckles etc., on their whim whilst ignoring kids who did the same, sometimes under their direct gaze, at break-times.. Didn't do me any harm? Well it bloody well did and I'm glad to say goodbye to respect demanded but unearned..
Sorry for the tone but it still makes me angry sometimes..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:09:57 PM »
Well, my family includes two current, two retired, teachers, and their experiences demonstrate a very marked reduction of respect for teaching staff than was current in my day 64+ plus years ago
Was that respect or fear though. If we stepped out of line it would have been sorted quickly and painfully.
So long and thanks for all the fish

GrannyMac

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
I'm sure it seems like that to them but I remember some of the teachers I had and many of them were insecure enough to physically bully and mistreat kids using canes, slippers, ruler-edges across the knuckles etc., on their whim whilst ignoring kids who did the same, sometimes under their direct gaze, at break-times.. Didn't do me any harm? Well it bloody well did and I'm glad to say goodbye to respect demanded but unearned..
Sorry for the tone but it still makes me angry sometimes..

Agreed. I love the fact that my grandchildren are encouraged  rather than admonished.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2020, 12:24:28 PM »
i was brought up in a tenement,,, they had an 'A' team and a 'B' team and the good news was, the A team always looked after the B team...and so is life, you just need a friend in the A team
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
Me too Crabby, eight flats in ours, with only one child, me.  Three or four of the tenants were what was known as maiden ladies. A retired governess on the top floor, a retired teacher, two sisters who lived together etc.  It wasn't like the tenements some of my school friends lived in, with one toilet per landing serving several families!  We had a bathroom. Posh, eh?  Some of the living conditions were pretty bad, they made the back to backs in the north of England look desirable.  At least in a terrace house people had a bedroom, not a bed recess!  And I bet very few would know what a single end was! 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
we also had eight flats, four upstairs and four down, three loo's on the landing for eight families, and always spotless
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:30:08 AM »
This is beginning to sound like one of those Monty Python discussions. Luxury, sheer bl***y luxury!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:32:11 AM »
 ;D  It has quite a way to go... ;D

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »
ok we shall refrain so not to offend your gentle....erm....ermm

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Thanks crabby but my gentle isn't easily offended..

cowboy wisdom.