Author Topic: take the knee  (Read 5513 times)

crabbyob

Re: take the knee
« Reply #75 on: Oct 13, 2020, 02:03:46 PM »
i think it might all end when the policemen in all western countries 'Take the Knee' for mistakenly pulling over a coloured driver...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #76 on: Oct 13, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
A bit over simplistic. Try reading what the Zulu were up to before Britain expanded in southern Africa. Read what Arab traders were up to, raiding Saharan Africa for centuries long before Britain started to colonize parts of Africa. Look at how many civilisations were based on slavery long before Britons even started to spread their wings across the world. Look at the situation of the indigenous poor where Britain moved in to colonize. In many cases they just swapped one set of overlords for another – and by no means to their inevitable disadvantage. You were a young wife of an elderly Indian who died – his family – and yours – expected you to join him on his funeral pyre. Who banned the practice? That rotten old Raj. I mean, how dare they? It’s a custom, innit? And now we see ‘honour killing’ in our towns from scum seeking a better life here than where they came from – better for them, maybe, but for who else?
Oh and don’t forget, as so many seem to want to do. We were by no means the only kid on the block. Step forward the Germans, the Belgians, the French, the Dutch, the Italians, the Spanish, the Portuguese – why concentrate on Britain? Oh, and if you want go further back, there were, after all the Vikings, etc
Mike

What the natives got up to in their own country was not our business.. You talk as if we were their saviour.. We did NOT go to other countries to save the people ,we went out there because there were rich pickings.. eg: Diamonds.
 As I have said.. I do not agree with others coming here to abuse our welfare system.. Preach their beliefs or practice their horrendous treatment against one another.. Let them stay in their own country and continue their way of life.. Don’t bring it to these shores.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #77 on: Oct 13, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

xetog

« Reply #78 on: Oct 13, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »
Scrumpy.  Of course colonisation is not altruistic.  Those 'settlers' were there to exploit resources that would have remained untapped were it not for their efforts, their lives were not without danger and many died trying.  Whilst it may not have been an intentional spinoff the power structure of most of these places was such that the vast majority of the natives were victims of the most brutal regimes and, for the most part, colonisation improved their lot immensely.  Mike pointed out just a few of the savage practices that were stopped, but the colonists taught them law, how to organise themselves, how to farm and many other skills required to make life better for the majority.  A few colonisers got rich, but the vast majority either died or remained and benefitted the society.  Now that the coloniser/settlers/controllers have gone, most of these countries are reverting back to their original savagery and millions are dying, particularly of famine and butchery just as they were before the colonists arrived.  The result is that many want to flee to the safety they enjoyed before their countries won their independence.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #79 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »
For pity’s sake, just look at Zimbabwe!
Mike stop getting all high  and mighty!,
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #80 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
Some of these countries still base their justice and administrative systems on what they learned from the British long after independence.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

xetog

« Reply #81 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »
??????

Mike.X

Scrumpy

« Reply #82 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:27:55 PM »
xetog.. I understand what you are saying.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #83 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
For pity’s sake, just look at Zimbabwe!
Mike stop getting all high  and mighty!,
That got a bit mangled somehow. It was intended as a response to Scrumpy’s’not very nice’ comment in an earlier post.
I have never prentended that Britain extended her Empire from altruism, obviously it wasn’t. What irritates me is the immediate effect of the expansion was to make thinks worse for the local poor. That was by no means always the case. My comment about Zimbabwe is that it represents the way in which some countries have descended into haos after control passed back to corrupt,  I ious locals. From being a styled, relatively wealthy nation, an exporter of grain, it is now a basket case of starving people - but of course, it is still all our fault!
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #84 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:16:14 AM »

Michael Rolls.. Please be assured that I am not ,in any way, high and mighty..

I merely said that we (interferred) with other countries to make them , what we considered, a better place .. Who/what gave us the right to do so.. and (some) got very wealthy on the back of this..
 It's all water under the bridge now.. Just stories in history books..

Michael Rolls

« Reply #85 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:35:57 AM »
But the effects of history still live on. For example - look at Japan. In the mid-19th century it was still a feudal nation. In 1854 Perry, of the USN started the process of forcing Japan to open up to the rest of the world. Obviously it was in America's interest (and others rapidly jumped on the bandwagon) to create a new market. But look at the effect on Japan itself, Forced to play catch-up with the rest of the world, 51 years later it was able to defeat Russia at sea and become a major world power.
Look at effect of the October revolution on what was the Russia and which rapidly became the USSR and the effect that had on the rest of the world, right up to the present day. No, sorry, history is anything but 'water under the bridge' - we are still living with it.
Mike

Raven

« Reply #86 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:16:22 AM »
I agree with Scrumpy Mike, it's way past time the UK kept it's nose out of other Countries. We are not the world's police, and have no right to interfere. The US is even worse,.

ronyork

« Reply #87 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Down on the knee,Do it in your home, l do not wish to see it in my home l see enough crap on the T.V already, Stand outside our homes in support for the police and N,H.S. In MY opinion fine ,  but where is this leading us, not a happy road.

xetog

« Reply #88 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »
I totally agree that we can no longer be the World's policeman, although I think we gave up that role to the US decades ago. We should also stop funding pointless national debts by many countries, I agree it is time we let them get on with their own lives, we have more than compensated for past sins, but history is history and as much as the Woke world would like to change it, history will remain.  We cannot compete with China and their 'Belt and Road' policy which is now driving many small nations into bankruptcy and our foreign aid should not be used to pay other nations debts to China.

Mike.X

Michael Rolls

« Reply #89 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:48:57 AM »
Absolutely. I agree that Pax Brittanica is long gone, and we should concentrate on solving our own problems - we are having enough problems trying to do that!
Overseas aid seems, to me, to be riddled with contradictions; unless we are directly involved with something I believe we should restrict our efforts to emergency relief
Mike