Author Topic: A nurses tale  (Read 951 times)

biglouis

Re: A nurses tale
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2020, 11:53:29 PM »
I feel incredibly lucky that Ive never been in hospital for any major operation. I had a very minor procedure years ago in my 20s and nothing since then, Only out patient visits. On the other hand it means Ive never had my moneys worth from the NHS.  ;D ;D ;D
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:14:36 AM »
Be thankful
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2020, 01:28:10 PM »
After all, having your house burn down with everything you treasure within it lost forever, isn't just money much recommence would be for me - would it be for you?
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
good health certainly beats money in the bank, unless your really, really hungry
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

GrannyMac

« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
I agree Crabby.  My OH and I owe a lot to the NHS. Verious surgeries and treatments have meant we could continue to be productive taxpayers.  Our health service isn't perfect, it can never be, it employs people. 

If the NHS is so underused at present, why did it take 90 minutes to get an ambulance to a man who was seriously burned?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54399879

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2020, 11:09:15 PM »
Money does not buy happiness but it makes misery a whole lot easier to bear - especially if you happen to need medical treatment in a hurry.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

granny moss

« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »
I had, years ago, a wrist ganglian removed from each wrist.    The first as a private patient, the second on NHS.  The first : In a private room, on my own. No one called to see if I was OK...When the time for the op came, I was rushed through the hospital yard on a bed....to the operating room.
 I asked for local anestetic to the wrist. The surgeon mocked me and gave me full anestatic...I woke up in my solitary room with my arm suspended on a holder.

Next morning a nurse came in and plonked a tray with my egg on toast, on my side table, and a knife and fork, and then left.  When I wanted to go to the loo, I rung the bell but no one came, so I had to go to the loo on my own. I was very groggy because of the anestetic...and I could have had a fall on the floor tiles....

Of course, I could not eat my breakfast even if I wanted....Luckily Micky came to take me home.

When I had the second op in the other wrist, I went on NHS.  I was treated like a human been.  The two young surgeons gave me local anestetic. A lovely nurse held my good hand and talked to me while they were operating. I was then put in a busy ward, and had company.  It was a cheerful ward and plenty of friendly chatting.

We never bothered with Insurance again.  I used private medical but directly with the consultant  that was needed. At the hospital or in their home surgery.  This is the best way.  gmx

Johned

« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
I attended Peterborough city NHS hospital today for a heart angiogram.  What fantastic dedicated people!  Tea and sandwiches on offer after the procedure, nothing was too much trouble.  I trust our MPs feel a tad guilty about receiving their substantial pay rise, because it should have gone to folk like those who looked after me today!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:51:38 PM »
Absolutely!
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »
I attended Peterborough city NHS hospital today for a heart angiogram.  What fantastic dedicated people!  Tea and sandwiches on offer after the procedure, nothing was too much trouble.  I trust our MPs feel a tad guilty about receiving their substantial pay rise, because it should have gone to folk like those who looked after me today!

It's nice to know you were well looked after. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »
do you suppose the nurse in question was from Liverpool...lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”