Author Topic: The numbers game again  (Read 1225 times)

crabbyob

Re: The numbers game again
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
but of course you believed blessed margaret when she looked you in the eye and said
we have no intention of closing the pits, we would have to be stupid...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Temperence

« Reply #16 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »
No
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

crabbyob

« Reply #17 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:25:48 PM »
thanx
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »
I don’t remember her saying that. I do remember the intransigence of Scargill and company resulting in more pits being closed than originally intended
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2020, 08:45:05 PM »
well you wouldnt Michael, would you
yes i do have selective memories and i do remember the lying bitch saying it

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »
Steady the Buffs...
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:13:56 PM »
well you wouldnt Michael, would you
yes i do have selective memories and i do remember the lying bitch saying it
Source?
Mike

klondike

« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »
Unlike now there was no YouTube around to record the utterings of politicians in the days of the miners strike.

This story about a secret plan to close more pits that the ones declared suggest that it is possible that crabby is right. I personally have no doubt that she was determined to destroy the miners union as revenge for what they had done to Heath's government before.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25549596
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »
Back then, it wasn’t only the miners who regarded it as their God given right to wreak havoc with the country whenever they wanted to get their own way
Mike

klondike

« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:47:05 PM »
I'm not arguing the pros and cons of the strike or government response. I'm just saying it is entirely likely that she said close to what crabby claims she did. Apart from the mines the union laws that stemmed from it emasculated the trades unions everywhere.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:56:40 PM »
And frankly, apart time; if that wasn’t the case, how come Blair and Brown did nothing about them when they had the chance? If Callahan and his union bully boys hadn’t stamped on Wilson and Castle when they tried to get ‘In Place of Strife’ acepted, the whole story of the eighties could have been very different.
Mike

klondike

« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
There has to be a delicate balance in the power of unions for them to actually be of benefit to their mambers and society as a whole. Clearly in the 70s they had far too much power and the wage rises they won simply caused inflation and removed the benefit.

Business magnates have the whip hand in the main and rather than take less profit they will pass wage rises on right up to the point where their product becomes uneconomic. In the case of the mines there was no profit of note anyway and the product became uneconomic as imported coal was cheaper. In the case of cars imports became superior and sometimes cheaper as well. Two industries destroyed partly by bad management and partly by the unions. It's pointless arguing blame as both have gone and will not reappear in the form they once were.

That said it is clear that there is now widespread exploitation of the work force and union power is too low. For low read as close to nil as makes no difference.

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »
can we please remember the Miners strike was NOT about money....
it was simply about jobs, we said she wanted to close the mines and she said they didnt
so who was right?..... not blessed thatcher...
yes coal could be got cheaper from abroad, but when you factor in the redundancy payments then the dole money just how much cheaper was the coal from abroad... our coal was deep-mined coal, the stuff from abroad was not, our coal was quality coal, theres is not.... it was 100% revenge ..they have said they replaced job for job....Doncaster has five prisons and dozens of call centres... all excellent opportunities for mineworkers..
i certainly advocate re-asigning the fifth of November as Thatcher day then we can burn the bitch every year

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »
The country was in a far better place when she left office than when she assumed it
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
your part, not mine, mine was decimated, she focused everything on what she called the service industries banking stocks and shares and insurances, basically what is now Khans country... the first thing she did was give the forces a much needed raise, then the police were also treated well, then she rolled up her sleeves, and the assassinations began