Author Topic: Young People  (Read 1717 times)

Hugh

Young People
« on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »
Didn't mind enjoying the company of the young, now if i see one coming I take avoiding action because they are a death sentence for us oldies. Labour MPs keep shouting instructions from Boris confusing. Just what is confusing about keep your distance and wear a mask and avoid mixing. Sorry to say young people will mix in large numbers no matter what instruction are given, as such, thousands of us oldies will pay the price this winter. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Raven

Re: Young People
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:12:27 PM »
I've reached the stage in my life where I simply can't be bothered with (most) young people. They have changed so much and (most) of them are rude. arrogant, wee know it all's, with no respect for anyone or anything.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:22:46 PM »
Just realised reading this thread that I don’t actually come into contact with any young people
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:43:29 PM »
Got to agree with you Raven, many young people have had too much, to easy and discipline gone out of the window since the do gooders came onto the scene. Being rude or being late got you the cane when I was at school. I got the cane most weeks for being late because I did not own a watch and late off a paper round. Any way never did me any harm.

Looks like you are safe Mike I have the problem of telling my nephew next door that I will not join them for Christmas dinner, because they have two teenagers. I cannot see them not mixing their friends over the holidays.

Alex22

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:57:50 PM »
I agree about young people.  No doubt we'll have the same folk on here telling us how their grandkids are well adjusted etc etc....but when they are with their own groups, they are as Raven says " rude. arrogant, wee know it all's, with no respect for anyone or anything." 

When I've been in supermarkets it's the young who can't wait to get past me, or reach over me, not the ' oldies '    I guess there's nothing we can do about it, just try to avoid them when you see them coming towards you en masse !

Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
I don't mix with young people much either. My grandchildren live 200 miles away and I havent seen them since lockdown, phone calls only.   If my eldest granddaughter is any example we are poles apart in our thinking, I love her, but politically opposite ends.  I had far more in common with my two Victorian grandmothers when I was young than I have with her, we had common morals and standards of behaviour. 

The difference is I believe, we didn't have lefty liberal teachers brainwashing us, it wasn't "me first" and you can do what you like, and we had discipline in schools which in turn promoted self discipline. And we were not obsessed with, nor could afford to drink to excess until the early hours.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2020, 02:22:22 PM »
Are we talking really young, as in children, or just anyone under fifty?  In the supermarkets is been mainly 20/30s not wearing masks, or socially distancing.  Our next door neighbours, late 20s, helpful and polite.  Paid staff in the charity shop 40+ great, volunteers aged from late teens upwards, pretty helpful.

My grandchildren are young and we don't see the oldest ones often, only twice since lockdown, the youngest a bit more often. They're pretty well mannered and know how to behave in public.  How they'll turn out? Who knows, but I enjoy any time I have with them for now.

What I remember of my granny was her kindliness.  She was frail, and confined to bed for many years. She didn't complain, but always had time for her 'bairns'.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »
Mac..Just curious but when do bairns become wains? ('wee ones' I assume) My Yorkshire granny used bairns all the time..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2020, 03:06:24 PM »
I don't know zoony.  My granny always called us bairns, and although I heard people say wains/weans, it was never used in our family.

Same I suppose in that some Yorkshire folk say babbies.  That may just be a South Yorkshire thing.    Crabby may know.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2020, 03:07:35 PM »
As far as I am concerned 'young' is under 70
Mike 😥😥

Temperence

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2020, 03:44:45 PM »
Unfortunately my husband and I were never able to have children for medical reasons I wont go into. I am very fond of my young nephews, nieces and their children but I sometimes find the youngest a handful. I think that as grandparents or aunties (in my case) we have the best of it. We dont have the responsibility but we can take the pleasure in their company.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »
sorry, i'm from south of Glasgow [slightly]
bairns in my life were in 'The Broons' in the sunday post
we had weans..... and i'm afraid the South Yorks accent has been mongoralised, by Jocks Geordies and a few Taffies, babby to me is a Geordie input, youth, flower/blossom.. ;D ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bobcat

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »
I love this quote :-

“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”

From Socrates, circa 470BC.

There is nothing new about young people being a pain in the ****

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »
T'was ever thus, and t'will ever so be
Mike

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »
sorry, i'm from south of Glasgow [slightly]
bairns in my life were in 'The Broons' in the sunday post
we had weans..... and i'm afraid the South Yorks accent has been mongoralised, by Jocks Geordies and a few Taffies, babby to me is a Geordie input, youth, flower/blossom.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

In some parts up here, meat puddings are often referred to as 'babby's 'eads..'
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.