Author Topic: Young People  (Read 1718 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Young People
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
Yuck!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »
 ;D ;D  I'll not tell you what we used to call black puddings but one of the words was 'knees'.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2020, 06:18:21 PM »
I can guess - an alliteration?
Mike

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2020, 06:35:31 PM »
Certainly..One might call it an RAF pov..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »
Certainly..One might call it an RAF pov..
😁😁😁

Bee

« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:47:51 AM »
I love this quote :-

“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”

From Socrates, circa 470BC.

There is nothing new about young people being a pain in the ****

That is so very true Bobcat,...... it has gone on through the ages that older people are always complaining about the young people.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2020, 07:01:13 AM »
And I have heard the odd complaint from the young about the old  ;D  Daughter never tires of saying how easy our generation had things compared to today. Apparently time spent in air-raid shelters as the bombs came down doesn't count!
Mike

crabbyob

« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:26:02 AM »
or perhaps it counts as 'fun' Mike
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Hugh

« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »
Mike you can argue all day on that one, yes we did have it very hard at times. In many ways the young of today have it even harder. In out day it was far easier to get a council house, and work was much easier to find even for the less brainy. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
or perhaps it counts as 'fun' Mike
;D ;D ;D ;D

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »

Or when you had to go to the outside loo, or on your almost daily trip to the shops because you didn't have a fridge or freezer and there were no supermarkets anyway!  Eeh, the good old days. 😂.

Yes, timing the trip to the shop to get a block of ice cream for dessert, that didn't melt before the meal.

Worrying that polio didn't get you & you ended up in an iron lung.

Today's kids worry about their Instagram image.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Jacqueline

« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
Mike you can argue all day on that one, yes we did have it very hard at times. In many ways the young of today have it even harder. In out day it was far easier to get a council house, and work was much easier to find even for the less brainy.

It wasn't easier to get a Council house for us.  Despite trying hard my parents never got one (I shared a bedroom with my parents until I was 13) nor did my cousin and husband living in one room plus tiny kitchen with two small children, that was partly the reason they went to New Zealand. 

People we knew were encouraged  to move out to New Towns from what Harold Wilson called overcrowded London, which was nothing like it is now, ethnic cleansing for sure.   Look at London now and who is living in Council accommodation, you have only to look at the make up of the tragic Grenfell Towers.

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »

It wasn't easier to get a Council house for us.  Despite trying hard my parents never got one (I shared a bedroom with my parents until I was 13) nor did my cousin and husband living in one room plus tiny kitchen with two small children, that was partly the reason they went to New Zealand. 

And the benefits were nowhere near as generous as they are today & that was if you managed to get past the National Assistance Board scrutiny.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
After my father died, aged 49 and bedridden for two years beforehand, my mother, aged 40, had to bring up three children, eldest 14, youngest 8, on a widow's pension with a purchasing power in today's money of £54 a week. Admittedly, housing was much, much cheaper then - just as well
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
To be honest, before the 2008 banking crisis. and now coronavirus, I think the current generation - now in their 40s, and housing costs aside, probably had the best living standards in material terms that there has ever been
Mike