Author Topic: Young People  (Read 1714 times)

Diasi

Re: Young People
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »
To be honest, before the 2008 banking crisis. and now coronavirus, I think the current generation - now in their 40s, and housing costs aside, probably had the best living standards in material terms that there has ever been
Mike

Housing costs are only an issue for youngsters who want to live in London & a few other places.

Plenty of youngsters buying houses in Lincolnshire.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »
very good point!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:47:43 PM »
Just been thinking of what we didn’t have when we moved into our house in 1947 which I guess would be seen as givens today by most
Electricity
Washing machine
Tumble drier
Hot water
Heated bedrooms
Upstairs lighting used candles
Central heating
Bathroom
Inside toilet
TV
Car
Telephone

To be fair, dad put the more important things right in 12 months or so, despite it being the days of the Atlee government, when you needed permission in triplicate to cough!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2020, 11:51:41 PM »
Also, to be fair, the place had been built around 1875 and the old lady who lived there before us - actually some very distant relative, had been there since 1920, when I suppose its lack of basic amenities would not have been so unusual
Mike

zoony

« Reply #34 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:46:38 AM »
I'm not at all sure that young people see the world as we do..and they shouldn't.. We were brought up to believe in the British Empire as rulers of two-thirds of the globe just as Americans were brought up to believe they were the most powerful nation on earth.. Neither is now the case, if it ever was, and the world is better off for it. Young people get that and don't question it as the norm for the world they're trying to live in and are fully aware of how things have been cocked up... I'm enjoying being at an age that has perspective built in for something more useful than nostalgia. Though that's not what it used to be either..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #35 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:57:15 AM »
Sho nuf, nostalgia ain’t wot it used to be!
Mike

Hugh

« Reply #36 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:27:41 AM »
Young people of Liverpool could not care less about the virus or who they pass it on to if the the street parties last night's anything to go bye.

Raven

« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »
Young people of Liverpool could not care less about the virus or who they pass it on to if the the street parties last night's anything to go bye.

I saw that on the News this morning, un blooming believable.

Hugh

« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »
Certainly brought shame to Liverpool.

biglouis

« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »
I dont believe young people in Liverpool are worse than anywhere else! They are tired of being patronised and lied to and singled out for punishment without any form of public debate. I foresee widespread civil disobedience in many regions before long, and not simply among the young.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Raven

« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »
I dont believe young people in Liverpool are worse than anywhere else! They are tired of being patronised and lied to and singled out for punishment without any form of public debate. I foresee widespread civil disobedience in many regions before long, and not simply among the young.

Yeppers.

crabbyob

« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
i once more agree with Biglouis, the young live in a world of their own, as we did.... i think Boris should understand as his actions are mostly Hormone driven as are all those young folks.
its certainly not easy for them, remember how national service straightened out so many of our friends...
 well that is missing from their lives, yes i know it has been missing for almost sixty years but this is humanities first big test.... we did as we were told, and we still do to a certain extent, but todays young dont have the 'yes sir no sir' that we had, but they are an improvement on each generation, everything that can be timed or measured has improved so why not our kids and grandkids... if we are to have a Vaccine it will be folk younger than us who discover it of that we can be sure... so yes what they are doing is 100% wrong, but why would we be surprised...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:55:08 AM »
The national media exists to sell papers or get visitors to their websites to boost advertising revenue (that fails if I visit as I run Piholes on my home and caravan networks). As the national mood changes so will their content. The Mail and Telegraph have been publishing lockdown sceptic views for a while. There will be more of that and from more sources because readers love to read articles that agree with their own viewpoint. Should the TV start to follow suit we just may see a change in the policy our government follows.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »
Always provided that they take notice, something that seems to be lacking at the moment
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #44 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:22:49 AM »
I have been reading about plagues and Pandemics hystory.   Since the 18 century.  As horrible as they are, they seemed to take their course, no matter what....and killed millions....

A very sobering thought....

Feel terribly sad for the families and young ones.  All that are really struggling to cope with this curse.  I wish I could have a good cry and get rid of the pain in my heart. gmx