Author Topic: Young People  (Read 1716 times)

Flying bomb

Re: Young People
« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:11:01 AM »
MY mother always told me to save for a rainy day, and I did.
Maybe I missed delights (?)  in drinking, smoking and excessive (!)
womanizing and lots of holidays. Expensive clothes and tattoos etc etc.

But now the country is raining viruses . So thanks mum, for the advice.
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #46 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:16:05 AM »
Just read of a family in Grangetown, Cardiff, Seven of them, youngest child two, eldest 15, plus dog in a one bedroom flat the wife said, not surprisinigly, that lockdown was hell.
Apparently it was husband and wife with two children - and dog - but just before lockdown the three children from the husband's first marriage came to stay = details unclear - and have been there ever since

I would imagine that 'hell' is a very mild description
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #47 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »
That must be hell indeed Mike.  Its actually a couple with a young baby and a dog, and four older children belonging to dad.  If the older children are going to be there permanently they have a case for rehousing.  But as a couple with a small baby they would not, as they wouldn't be classed as overcrowded in that flat. 

So little detail, its impossible to know what steps they, as a family of seven, have taken to find a larger property.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54543154
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #48 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the correction, granny - I misread it.
Mike

biglouis

« Reply #49 on: Oct 15, 2020, 03:47:30 PM »
Must be bad for anyone who has no outside space. Especially as the truth is beginning to dawn that the first lockdown achieved nothing and therefore was unnecessary. Nor are masks, social distancing, curfews, queues and the rest of the ritualistic nonsense going to achieve anything more than a winter of discontent and increasing civil disobedience.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Hugh

« Reply #50 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
Not sure if many or any going to obey the new covid rules. Just no way of policing the regulations. Thankfully, I have out door space to exercise, and I live on a quiet road which leads into the forest, so keeping isolated not a problem. I do hope I am wrong, but I fear for the worst this winter.

Raven

« Reply #51 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
Not sure if many or any going to obey the new covid rules. Just no way of policing the regulations. Thankfully, I have out door space to exercise, and I live on a quiet road which leaves into the forest, so keeping isolated not a problem. I do hope I am wrong, but I fear for the worst this winter.

Yes I can see trouble ahead too Hugh. :(  Like you I'm really lucky where I live and though I am in the middle of nowhere I don't feel as if I'm isolating really. I do hate Travel Restrictions though as I do a lot of mooching about.

GrannyMac

« Reply #52 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
Must be bad for anyone who has no outside space. Especially as the truth is beginning to dawn that the first lockdown achieved nothing and therefore was unnecessary. Nor are masks, social distancing, curfews, queues and the rest of the ritualistic nonsense going to achieve anything more than a winter of discontent and increasing civil disobedience.

Masks are reported as being effective in not passing infection on.  Keeping our distance must also have some effect, as better hygiene does. 

If everyone who doesn't wish to comply avoids public transport, shops, bars and cafes that would help. Either stay at home or go places outside that aren't busy.

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2020, 06:32:33 AM »
At the top of the Lane, on a patch of green grass, there was a seat bench.  No one seemed to use it. It was by the main street of the small willage. About 1000 locals....I used to sit there, as I did my daily walk from the bungalow....  I became a sort of landmark....

The old seat needed replacing and was takeng away. I missed it.

Someone asked the local council to replace it, as a "person" was using the seat on a regular basis.  The seat has been replaced by a very nice one, and someone planted a few bulbs  near it.

Since the new bench is waiting there, I have not been able to walk up to it.....I hope that by next spring I will be able once again to get up to the top of the lane and use the seat again..... I think that is the least I can do to show my appreciation  to the council for their kind thought in replacing the old bench..... gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2020, 06:58:21 AM »
Lovely story, granny - hope you will soon be able to sit once more on 'your' bench
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:07:23 AM »

Granny moss.... How lovely to have your own special seat ..
 Come the spring the seat will still be there... waiting... just for you..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:12:09 AM »
Something to look forward to GM, the bench and the spring flowers.

R. Gervais

granny moss

« Reply #57 on: Oct 18, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
Re-Young people....On thinking back....When I was young : I never thought I would get old like the old people that were around me. I thought they were born old.   I never gave a thought about my future. I did not know I had one.... As I was never hungry, I did not know some children had no food....I though every child had a mum and dad. I did not know about been beaten by my mum or dad. They never did.  I never had cardboard in my shoes.Looking back, I was a privileged child.  Therefore I think, my behaviour was fairly disciplined. But ignorant of all the children that had a life not so good.That is why now, at times I feel ashamed of my ignorance of the struggles and misery some young people are living in these days. No wonder they are unruly and despondent. The shame is in the grown ups that do not help them, and only complain.  gmx

Temperence

« Reply #58 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
I was in the care system until I was 14 and had a miserable time. I spent many years in a home run by a well known organization that I shall not name. It was supposed to be a Christian organization but those who worked there were anything but Christian. I then had the good fortune to be fostered by a wonderful couple who eventually adopted me. It was they who made it possible for me to go to university and then go into teaching.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Diasi

« Reply #59 on: Oct 18, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »

The best bit of news I've read today is about a 32-yr-old fitness 'influencer' who was a Covid denier, who has died from a Covid infection.

That influenced him to admit he got it wrong as he was checking out. Lol  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)