Author Topic: 15th October  (Read 743 times)

xetog

15th October
« on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
Boris' walk away from the EU day is 15th October, do you think he will do it, more important, do you think he should do it?

For my part I think he should.  Even if it were not for our fishing rights and our own laws I understand that there are many other unresolved issues.  Things will be hard, made even worse by Covid, but if he fails now we will never be free.  Just because we leave without a deal does not mean that talks on trade cannot continue, but at least the EU will be faced with having to negotiate with an independent nation, a fact they can't seem to get their heads around at the moment.

The EU, particularly the French are rejecting what I see as an extremely generous deal of fishing under annually negotiated licenses in our waters, yet are willing to be excluded altogether.  In a typical fit of pique they are threatening to exclude other EU nations from fishing in their waters (not that they have many fish in them anyway), but it shows just how solidarity works in the EU.  The EU are threatening to exclude British beef saying that it fails to meet their standards that it met just days before, The EU will also not recognise our standards institutions, which in most cases are better than theirs.  I have no doubt channel ports will be blocked.  I certainly hope Michael Gove has thought of this.

Even given everything that the EU and their petty acolytes will undoubtedly try to throw at us, we should not yield to blackmail and stick to our guns, so I would say, Boris must not swerve from 15th October.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Diasi

Re: 15th October
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »
Boris' walk away from the EU day is 15th October, do you think he will do it, more important, do you think he should do it?

Even given everything that the EU and their petty acolytes will undoubtedly try to throw at us, we should not yield to blackmail and stick to our guns, so I would say, Boris must not swerve from 15th October.

Mike.X

I say he should as well.

What amazes me is the fact that we are the EU's biggest single customer & they still they think they hold all the cards.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »
I've read that there are nasty bits and bobs in the already signed Withdrawal Agreement. Not getting a deal allows us to declare that the EU have not acted in good faith so we are setting aside the Withdrawal Agreement in its entirity. It would be very hard for the EU to argue otherwise as all our red lines demand is that we require to be treated as an independent state.

What he should do and what he will do are unfortunately not likely to be the same thing.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:27:21 PM »
I've read that there are nasty bits and bobs in the already signed Withdrawal Agreement. Not getting a deal allows us to declare that the EU have not acted in good faith so we are setting aside the Withdrawal Agreement in its entirity. It would be very hard for the EU to argue otherwise as all our red lines demand is that we require to be treated as an independent state.

What he should do and what he will do are unfortunately not likely to be the same thing.

Yes, it'll be hard for the EU to argue that it isn't prepared to allow the UK to be an independent State after the withdrawal agreement.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

xetog

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:31:43 PM »
I take it that if there is 'no deal' the WA is dead anyway and there will be no border of any kind between Britain & NI and that it will be up to the EU to set up a border between north and south as the border between the EU and the UK?

Mike.X

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:33:15 PM »
It is evident, and has been for some time (about four years) that talking to the e.u. is a never ending process. If you give them a month they will want two, if you give them 20 years they will want 40 and so on for ever, so the best thing to do is walk now.

klondike

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
I've no idea how true it is but I have seen it suggested that we needn't have gone through the Article 50 palaver at all. We could just have repealed some UK legislation, waved two fingers at the EU and declared we were no longer members. It seems all we have achieved by not doing just that is a long delay before setting up trade deals with the Rest of the World and given the EU lots of our money.

xetog

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:04:14 PM »
Yes, I believe we could have done that and been in precisely the same position as is likely in 78 days time.  I guess we wanted to be fair and get a deal beneficial for both sides.  Just goes to show fairness is a weakness.

Mike.X

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:06:53 PM »
JUST WALK!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:36:56 PM »
NO!!!

Run  :)

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
I also think he should walk away. The trouble with the EU is it's used to calling the shots and getting it's own way. It doesn't like being told no and is stamping it's foot in temper.

biglouis

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
Im in agreement with Klondike on this. We should simply have passed the legislation 4 years ago and withdrawn.

The french might block the channel ports but are there not also ferry links from Belgium and Holland?
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Scrumpy

« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »
I hope Boris has the guts..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
I hope Boris has the guts..
Me too, although he has, in my opinion, gone downhill since being ill
Mike 🤞🤞🤞
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2020, 09:40:13 PM »
If Covid hadn't come along he'd have been on top of the job. A lot to contend with for any leader this year IMO.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais