Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 755 times)

Michael Rolls

Vitamin D
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 04:20:36 AM »
Couple of articles on the BBC News website saying Vitamin D - recommending 10 micrograms daily - may help the immune system fight the virus. I already take it daily, must check the dose - too idle to get out of bed and check right away
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2020, 06:06:07 AM »
Just checked. My Vitamin D tablets are 1000iu, which I understand to be 25mcg. Taken them for years, so will continue so to do, although that is more than the NHS recommend, presumably as a minimum. Maximum tolerable dose is apparently 100mcg a day so I am well within that
Mike

digitalis

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:00:14 AM »
The guy Dr John Cambell who I watch on You Tube has been advocating this for 5 months or more. Puts some decent points. Dunno if he's getting tired of it. More assembled than myself: I think I am just going covid!! Read,mad.

His latest blog/vid wotever,is on Japan. Go study. Sit at the feet of Masters!! 130 million people then look at the stats and what is happening....or not happening there. To add to the good figures there...masks,ventillation,vit D,hygiene,more... The incredible thing that got me on this latest video was that the Japanese are hospitalizing all those found infected. It seems the Japanese gov even test incoming people to the country,put them in hospital if found positive...all at the Japanese tax payers expense. That is,no charge!

JC notes and makes comment on the low costs of these gov inititiatives.

Busy at the mo,so no links,and apologies for not a better sell. Fascinating.

A by-the-by,wasnt China to test 8 million citizens of one of its cities in some 4 days? I can remember when our leaders all but looked down on these folk. We had the brains and the techno. My,how things have changed!

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »

I have taken vitamin D for years.. Very interesting..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »
yes, me too. It was Veronica's idea years back
Mike

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:13:32 AM »
Does it really do any good though?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »
Well, I know I don’t suffer from Vitamin D deficiency which can be pretty unpleasant in children especially - OK I am not a child - in can cause rickets, also , note that coloured and Asiatic folk are more susceptible to Vitamin D deficiency and to Covid . Whether I would suffer from it if I didn’t take the supplement, who knows? It doesn’t do me any harm
Mike

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
As was mentioned here some time back there is the circumstantial link between Vitimin D deficiency and worse Covid outcomes for the BAME community.
So long and thanks for all the fish

David G

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »
I've taken vitamin D3 supplement for years, nothing to lose by continuing to do so.
Opinion. A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »
Some years ago, I started a 'war' on another forum by a light hearted comment on two articles I had read on the same day.  One suggested that we should all cover up and avoid direct sunlight because of its effects on the skin.
Another article suggested that because we didn't get enough exposure to sunlight, we should all take vitamin D.

Long ago, I recall that people suffered from rickets because of a lack of sunlight and poor diet, but there seems little reason for this to be the case today.   If you have a good, balanced diet and get outdoors as much as reasonable, why should people (in general) need vitamin D supplements?

I prefer good fresh food, fresh air and exercise, but maybe some people think that taking a tablet is better.   
I appreciate that for some, this might be needed for medical reasons, but I suspect that for most, the only people who benefit from supplements are the manufacturers.

You'll have had your tea.

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you should stop taking it. :)  I'm just wary of all these pills/vitamins that are suppose to be so good for you. I used to take multi vitamins for years,but never felt any better for it.
I'm such an outside person anyway so I expect I do ok naturally. :)

digitalis

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:33:18 AM »
The extraordinary thing about Japan is that one-hell-of-a-lotta people there are 65+ and over. Lottsa 90+ there too. Care A1. No crowding into death traps to knock 'em off. Also,they aint importing lottsa folk cos they got lottsa folk. Or to boost the economy.
Amaazing!!

But then we have the Brains of Oxford: Boris.

They got 130 million. But seem okay to go down to 80 million. Here we gotta go up to 150 million and concrete the joint over. Planning? Wot planning?

Need I say more.

Where did it all go wrong?? the duffers club?

eegrek

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
I have started taking 2 x 10 mg per day last week and I propose to reduce this to 1 tablet of 10mg per day after 1 Month of boosting the system. I have two portions of Salmon per week which should keep the system stable.

Dr Campbell recommended 800ui per day which I believe is 25mg per day. He described the reason for ensuring a high level of Vitamin D was to enable the chemical calciferol which tells the T cells to help the B cells to produce the antibodies to fight covid.

The problem we have all got however is we do not know our current level of Vitamin D without having a blood test which in today's environment would probably be nil chance. Neither can we estimate how much our diet is contributing to the level of D. Some people (Dr Fouchi) are taking 3000UI per day. I guess it relates to how frightened you are about getting covid19.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:46:49 PM »
Wel l, given I am 83,borderline diabetic, and have had a heart condition, I guess I am above average risk, but sod it, life must go  on, or we might as well all turn up our toes and die
Mike

Traveller

« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:56:30 PM »
Doctors are people who prescribe medicines about which they know very little to patients about whom they know even less.  If  vitamin D was so useful in preventing / treating Covid,  why isn't it being given to everyone?

You'll have had your tea.