Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 756 times)

Diasi

Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »

His latest blog/vid wotever,is on Japan. Go study. Sit at the feet of Masters!! 130 million people then look at the stats and what is happening....or not happening there. To add to the good figures there...masks,ventillation,vit D,hygiene,more... The incredible thing that got me on this latest video was that the Japanese are hospitalizing all those found infected. It seems the Japanese gov even test incoming people to the country,put them in hospital if found positive...all at the Japanese tax payers expense. That is,no charge!

A by-the-by,wasnt China to test 8 million citizens of one of its cities in some 4 days?

The Japanese have a head start because they obey, to the letter, whatever instructions they're given.

China can say anything it wants since there's never any proof that it's actually done it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2020, 07:40:53 PM »
Doctors are people who prescribe medicines about which they know very little to patients about whom they know even less.  If  vitamin D was so useful in preventing / treating Covid,  why isn't it being given to everyone?
I think you are reading too much into what is being said. Nobody
, at least nobody that I have read, is claiming Vitamin D will prevent Covid-19 not cure it. The body’s immune system faces a multitude of threats from the day one is born. If it didn’t, everyone would be dead in no time, and the human race would have disappeared long ago. The claim that, just as, for instance, vitamin C is a strong defence against the likes of scurvy, so D is a help against pulmonary attack by such as Covid. Unlike scurvy, which was around for centuries before the efficacy of C was realised, Covid is less than a year old (perhaps just about a year depending on whom one believes) and everyone is still feeling their way. One thing is sure; D won’t make things worse and may help
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Traveller

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »
Mike, my point is that if there was any proven evidence that vitamin D (or any other supplement) was beneficial in the prevention or treatment of Covid, wouldn't it be sensible to make it available to everyone, rather than just let people  rely on anecdotal evidence that it might be helpful.
You'll have had your tea.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:11:59 PM »
Mike, my point is that if there was any proven evidence that vitamin D (or any other supplement) was beneficial in the prevention or treatment of Covid, wouldn't it be sensible to make it available to everyone, rather than just let people  rely on anecdotal evidence that it might be helpful.
Fair point, don’t know the answer, like most of what we are being told
Mike

klondike

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:33:37 PM »
Those sort of tests are done by the pharmaceutical companies. As vitamin D3 is rather cheaper than chips there is zero chance that they will fund any study. It is well known that a lack of D3 makes you susceptible to illness. It is also know that there is widespread D3 deficiency and that it is difficult to get enough simply from diet.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-deficiency-symptoms

I may well have a high enough D3 level and as it happens I noticed it recorded as one of the tests the doctor required from a recent blood test so will be told if it is low. I'll be pretty amazed if it is because when I checked up on it having read that low levels were associated with covid mortalities I splashed out and got some supplement tablets for the two of us.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:50:14 PM »
Thanks for the link - nice to have some expert opinion that agrees with me! I see the comment about up 4,000iu - the NHS reckons that's about the limit for tolerance, although I haven't seen anything about the effects of too much D - but then, I haven't actually looked
Mike

xetog

« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
Vitamin D is an essential element in many of the bodies functions, including the immune system and can be found in almost every organ of the body.  It is true that the sun is the major source of vitamin D for most people, but it has been shown that solar intensity in Scotland is too low to provide sufficient amounts of the vitamin.  There have been several studies in other countries which show that good levels of Vitamin D are beneficial against Covid-19, but the UK government have consistently refused to fund their own study.  It is known that a high percentage of the population, particularly among the BAME and the elderly are deficient.  BAME people, it is thought because of their skin pigment, the elderly because their skin conversion system weakens with age.

We have been taking supplements since we turned 60.  usually only a small 400iu's every couple of days.  Then we graduated to 400iu's daily in winter until the advent of Covid.  We now take 1000iu's daily and also have a good diet containing vit D.  We have looked at the evidence from around the world and whilst there have been no double-blind trials (I don't think the drug companies want the truth getting out), are convinced that a healthy level of D vitamin offers some protection.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
My own feelings exactly
Mike