Author Topic: why trust Boris?  (Read 392 times)

Michael Rolls

why trust Boris?
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 06:29:38 AM »
Article which will appear in today's Telegraph and which precisely echoes my own growing anger at the way we are being treated - I felt it was worth posting in full rather than try a summary.

>>Yes, Boris, this is the tipping point – for our trust in you
Local lockdowns, with baffling facts and figures to justify them, are just the latest punishment for a weary population
ALLISON PEARSON[/color]13 October 2020 • 7:11pm

Here we go again. Vast swathes of the north of England have been put back into special measures under a new, three-tier system announced by the Prime Minister, despite a welcome admission from the World Health Organisation that lockdowns don’t work. Which of the three levels of risk does your area fall into: 1. Dread; 2. Super-Dread; or 3. Deceased by Saturday?
According to the Government, the city where I live is at ‘Medium’ risk from Covid-19. That’s odd. A doctor who works at the big teaching hospital, a centre of excellence for the whole of East Anglia, assures me there are seven patients on the Covid ward, no Covid patients in ICU, and 60 awaiting test results. That sounds like a pretty low risk to me. Far more chance that I’ll die in a road accident or clonk my head on the door of the Aga as I bend down to take the banana bread out of the baking drawer (as I did on Sunday) than perish from corona.
Despite what the TV headlines may screech on the hour, every hour, for the vast majority of Britons there’s still relatively little to worry about. Even at the peak, our hospital never exceeded 50 per cent of ICU capacity. Very few of them did. The Nightingale hospitals, put up at vast expense to help out if the NHS became overwhelmed, were hardly used. Some, including a huge one in Birmingham, have recently been taken down by workmen who cheerfully cursed the “effing waste of money”.

Why would ministers and scientific advisers scare us, as they did this week, with the threat of putting the Nightingales on red alert, as though waving some ghoulish shroud at Hallowe’en, when they must have given the order to decommission those hospitals? The grim conclusion is that it suits them to treat the public like children. They keep us in a state of fear so we dare not question the measures that are wrecking our economy, causing anguished family separations and condemning pregnant women to endure labour alone and even wear a mask to meet their new baby, as well as killing thousands upon thousands of non-Covid patients. It is unforgivable.
There is no tier for ‘Low’ risk in the new Covid warning system. Of course there isn’t. People must not be allowed to get the impression that it’s safe to keep calm and carry on, as a previous generation of Britons managed while being bombarded by something infinitely more lethal than a microbe whose victims have an average age of 82.4 years.
In London, where Mayor Sadiq Khan was agitating yesterday for more job-destroying measures for his beleaguered, broken city, a fourfold increase in Covid “cases” during September has not translated into rapidly rising hospital admissions or deaths. The number of false positives derived from those dodgy PCR tests makes it hard to get a true picture, but it looks as if high numbers of infections are not leading to deaths because the capital may be on its way to achieving herd immunity. Pray that it may be so.
At the height of the crisis, it was not unknown to have 1,000 Covid deaths in a single day. On Monday, there were 65 in all of England and Wales, yet Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, the Deputy Chief Medical Officer, insisted on calling this a “tipping point”. Cue baffling slides designed to prepare a weary population for more punishment while taking the ‘dem’ (for democracy) out of pandemic. Oh, what a tangled statistical web they weave when first they practice to deceive!

It’s now three weeks since that notorious Graph of Doom when Sir Patrick Vallance told us that Covid cases could start doubling every seven or eight days, which meant that, by mid-October, there would be 50,000 a day. By one calculation, the Vallance projection needed 262,424 cases to be announced yesterday for the moving average for the week to hit 50,000. Did Pat perchance find those quarter of a million cases down the back of the same sofa where Dido, Queen of Carnage, discovered the 16,000 missing Test and Trace contacts?
To be fair to Baroness Harding, the poor woman has only been given £12.6 billion to come up with a workable NHS tracking system. With that amount, you could have paid every single elderly and vulnerable person in the UK £60,000 to shield themselves in the Bahamas and used the change to recompense students for their non-existent university experience.

You might think we were owed an apology for these monstrous blunders and miscalculations, but the scientists and public health officials plough on unabashed. Unbelievably, some even got gongs in the Honours List. They are relishing their moment in the limelight and can afford to be much more risk-averse than a Sunderland publican or a Merseyside gym owner, who can’t hold back the tears as they watch the businesses they built up over many years crumble to dust, closed by ministerial diktat.
I’m sick of the Sage scaremongers who now accuse the Government of acting too late and failing to impose a “circuit breaker” of stricter measures three week ago. Hang on, wasn’t it Sage that, back at the beginning, wanted no lockdown at all? As a group of 12 members of the House of Lords wrote in a letter to The Times this week: “If lockdown were a treatment undergoing a clinical trial, the trial would be halted because of the side-effects”.

It certainly would. I’m a bit more hopeful today that the PM is starting to wrest some control back from Sir Patrick and the pessimist paradigm. But if Boris doesn’t trust the British people with the truth – according to the most recent peer-reviewed paper on Covid-19, 99.8 per cent of all people who get the virus survive, including 99.96 per cent of those under 70 – then why on earth should we trust him? Treat us like children and we’ll act like them. They call this a tipping point and they well could be right, but not in the way they think. Their pointless, destructive local lockdowns will end in tiers.<<

Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Raven

Re: why trust Boris?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:12:24 AM »
Bottom Line........I don't trust him, or any other Tory. As far as I'm concerned they are all Toxic.

klondike

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »
Thanks for the text Mike. I assume you have a Telegraph sub as I only get the first bit of their stories once I've read a few.

OK read it. Heartening to see scepticism in the mainstream media yet again. I note that the Mail has been carrying similar output. Amazing that given their track record of Tory criticism the BBC seems to continue to follow the doomsday line.

Starmer has come out of the woodwork a bit too criticising the government for turning down a repeat of the national lockdown.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:07:46 AM »
Yes, i do have a sub with them, but apart from top news stories and items like that one, I much prefer ink on paper version - far more in it
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:08:18 AM »
Bottom Line........I don't trust him, or any other Tory. As far as I'm concerned they are all Toxic.
Who would you prefer?
Mike

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
I would prefer that England stopped holding onto Scotland and let her become independent. I resent being told what to do by Westminster. I was always a Labour voter, though that party have changed so much I hardly recognise them now.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
Raven, I understood that The Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly were making their own rules about Covid.  Has that changed?  I'll admit I'm not up to date with all the news.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:04:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure you are correct Mac.

It seems Scotland must be faring worse than England though as they are facing more draconian rules although I'll freely admit I haven't checked their numbers. Perhaps it's the lack of sunlight up there with the shorter days and all that rain (and the North of England).  Maybe they should all be on vitamin D3 supplements?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
Raven, I understood that The Scottish parliament and the Welsh assembly were making their own rules about Covid.  Has that changed?  I'll admit I'm not up to date with all the news.

They say they are, they are all doing much the same but at different times. Maybe they should all sit down together and talk....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »

They say they are, they are all doing much the same but at different times. Maybe they should all sit down together and talk....
actally the four heads of government did that just a few days ago. They are still going their own ways though, which to me seems eminently sensible now that NS seems to have abandoned point scoring
Mike

Raven

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:36:56 PM »
actally the four heads of government did that just a few days ago. They are still going their own ways though, which to me seems eminently sensible now that NS seems to have abandoned point scoring
Mike

Oh Right, I didn't realise that Mike. :)