Author Topic: Don't buy Christmas presents.  (Read 2725 times)

brian54

Don't buy Christmas presents.
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/money-saving/martin-lewis-ban-xmas-presents-17310672

You don't have to buy your children wasteful Christmas presents. Both my daughters and sons in law appreciated money transfers in to their mortgage accounts.

A couple of people said that was not the same as buying a tangible Christmas present.

At least their houses were paid for a lot quicker.

biglouis

Re: Don't buy Christmas presents.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »
Great advice Brian. I have not bought cards or presents singe 1975. However I have no objection whatever to selling stuff to others.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
Fortunately my children don't need help with their mortgages, we couldn't afford that sort of expense!  I enjoy giving Christmas gifts to the family.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:03:54 PM »
Fortunately my children don't need help with their mortgages, we couldn't afford that sort of expense!  I enjoy giving Christmas gifts to the family.

I don't think mine do really but I would rather give to people who help themselves and contribute to society rather than other relatives who sit at home all day complaining the benefits they get are too low.

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »
In Sheffield there is a 'shoebox' appeal every year for Christmas.  They provide gifts for older, isolated people, and younger, homeless people.  I like to buy a few small items when I'm shopping.  Not everyone who is hard up has never tried, but its difficult to save for a pension on minimum wage.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
I stopped buying presents because I am not Christian and dont celebrate Christmas. It has become a huge commercial racket. So thats one less present my family and friends will have to buy. In the distant past one of my colleagues who had just got married and had very little money to begin married life, took out a loan to buy presents for friends and family. Its so sad that she should have felt such pressure to spend money she didnt have on things which people didnt need when she still needed things for the home. I call that the dark side of Christmas.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »
In Sheffield there is a 'shoebox' appeal every year for Christmas.  They provide gifts for older, isolated people, and younger, homeless people.  I like to buy a few small items when I'm shopping.  Not everyone who is hard up has never tried, but its difficult to save for a pension on minimum wage.
Isolated people are not always poor. That said I know one who goes for a meal organized on Christmas day by a church but he donates about £50 to the church.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
and does he do a bank transfer
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

brian54

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »
and does he do a bank transfer

Yes

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »
I can imagine an older person, possibly frail, with no family, and little money, who has maybe outlived any friends, would be glad of a small gift, just to brighten their lives. People who may not have £50 spare.  The milk of human kindness still exists, just perhaps not in Birmingham.

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:34:58 PM »
i was in Sanitorium when Kennedy got murdered
and was still there at xmas
the local NUM branch came round with pressies
i got a pair of army socks and ten Park Drive...lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2020, 07:10:53 PM »
I can imagine an older person, possibly frail, with no family, and little money, who has maybe outlived any friends, would be glad of a small gift, just to brighten their lives. People who may not have £50 spare.  The milk of human kindness still exists, just perhaps not in Birmingham.

I think you may be right Mac.. Nothing to do with the value of the gift.. the value of the thought is so much greater..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »

I think you may be right Mac.. Nothing to do with the value of the gift.. the value of the thought is so much greater..

I don't think that would compute in some minds zoony.  A small gesture can really make someone's day.  Certain comments remind me a bit of Harry Enfield's 'Considerably richer than you' sketches! https://youtu.be/U8Kum8OUTuk

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »
Oh, I know it well chuck.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Temperence

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2020, 11:15:58 PM »
Christmas can be a terrible financial burden for some people. We took a decision among my siblings and myself a while back that we were only going to buy for the children. We were just buying one another things that we could perfectly well buy for ourselves. How many bottles of perfume and pairs of socks do you need?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing