Author Topic: Don't buy Christmas presents.  (Read 2727 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Don't buy Christmas presents.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:47:11 AM »
Well, I’ll pass on the perfume, but socks are always useful
Mike 😁😁
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ashy

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
It's too much of a risk. You just never know when someone is going to cancel Christmas.

Raven

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »
It's too much of a risk. You just never know when someone is going to cancel Christmas.

SSSHHHH, He might hear you. ;D

klondike

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
So long and thanks for all the fish

Temperence

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:36:41 PM »
Well I think you know what I mean about perfume and socks. We also made a family decision to cut back on cards for people we see regularly and only send them to those who are at a distance, as well as cutting down on expenditure generally. As Yorkshire folk we were brought up to be careful with money and spend it in meaningful ways. I would rather pop a few tins in the food bank box at the supermarket than spend them on tat for someone who doesn't need it. My sis has used the same tree and decorations for years.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Jacqueline

« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:11:47 AM »
I don't think many people on this site admit to being religious, so why do we feel we need to contribute to the rip off of Christmas?  Most children get too much stuff, shops full of plastic rubbish toys that will need to be disposed of before too long.  I don't want to sound bah humbug but it has got out of hand, just a small gift, but not feeling guilty if you don't.

zoony

« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:38:43 AM »
I've  always had a reputation for disliking Christmas but, in my own defence, there's a lot to dislike!.. and I don't really. I dislike Christmas songs being sung instead of carols when I answer the door to carol singers.. I dislike the pressures on young mums and dads to overspend, forced to hide their debt and worry for many months or longer. I dislike the whole, vast machinery that swings into place, designed to pressure-sell as much as possible as quickly as possible and making it a huge shopping event instead of just a holiday, however you take that. I especially dislike the hugely expensive big-brand TV ads specifically designed to sell at any cost. I dislike much about it, but I don't dislike Christmas..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:47:05 AM »
I remember this and other stories like it.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5174693/This-Morning-viewers-slam-benefits-mother-2-000-gifts.html

This kind of behaviour can be galling for those workers on low wages who are scrimping to even buy small gifts for their children.  There is no need to spend extravagantly, and getting into serious debt is ridiculous. IMO.  Little kids are happy with a stocking from Santa, and then when they are old enough, they need to understand that there isn't unlimited money.   IMO.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

biglouis

« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:37:54 PM »
In the distant past one of my colleagues who had just got married and had very little money to begin married life, took out a loan to buy presents for friends and family. Its so sad that she should have felt such pressure to spend money she didnt have on things which people didnt need when she still needed things for the home. I call that the dark side of Christmas.

Even though I sell quite a lot of stuff at Christmas I agree with zoony about the general principle. There is far too much pressure on people to spend, entertain and so on. The come January the credit card bills roll in and you are left regretting it.

Ive often discussed this with people who would love to cut down what they spend at Christmas but are afraid of being labelled mean and selfish. Cutting down on the adults or just buying a very small token present is a good way to start if it really is "the thought" that counts.

One poster said that children get too much nowadays - a load of cheap plastic tat which soon breaks. It might be best to put money away for them in premium bonds or savings, as my grandmother did for us. Then its there to spend when they are old enough to use it wisely.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
I only send cards, and where appropriate, E-cards, but I do send money to stepson, stepdaughter and stepgranddaughter
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
Oh, and I send money to stepdaughter to buy something 'from me' for the little one (10 in December, how time flies)
Mike

Raven

« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
I don't think many people on this site admit to being religious, so why do we feel we need to contribute to the rip off of Christmas?  Most children get too much stuff, shops full of plastic rubbish toys that will need to be disposed of before too long.  I don't want to sound bah humbug but it has got out of hand, just a small gift, but not feeling guilty if you don't.

We don't do Christmas, if it's a nice day we pack up food and head off with the clydes for several hours while it's light. Can't leave untill after ten because of jobs to be done with the animals first. Back around 3pm and after seeing to the clydes we have a nice turkey/roast beef dinner with all the trimmings. Then settle in front of the TV and catch up on recorded things. That's been our Christmas for years.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »

We don't do Christmas, if it's a nice day we pack up food and head off with the clydes for several hours while it's light. Can't leave untill after ten because of jobs to be done with the animals first. Back around 3pm and after seeing to the clydes we have a nice turkey/roast beef dinner with all the trimmings. Then settle in front of the TV and catch up on recorded things. That's been our Christmas for years.
Sounds idyllic
Mike 👍👍

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2020, 02:52:15 PM »
It does sound lovely. When our children were young we'd often head off on Boxing day with a picnic to the Peak District with some friends and walk off some of the day before's indulgence!

As OH and I are having Christmas on our own this year, he and I might head out for a walk, maybe  Longshaw or Chatsworth. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
Forecast looks good here, granny. Hope it is the same for you
M