Author Topic: UK to talk beyond Brexit deadline?  (Read 881 times)

xetog

UK to talk beyond Brexit deadline?
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
This headline from The Independent: "UK to talk beyond Brexit deadline".  Although no final decision is to be made until  Boris has met with von der Leyen later today.  Surely, there is only one question?  "Are you going to agree that there will be no primacy of EU laws and do you concede that our waters (and the fish therein) are our own?"  If they say no, then we walk away, if yes, then let's continue to talk until the end of the month.  Simple really.  This question could have been posed months, if not years back and Brexit would by now have been complete.

Mike .X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Ashy

Re: UK to talk beyond Brexit deadline?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
As a first class cricketer, Boris will know that there comes a time to draw stumps.

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:26:30 PM »

According to Reuters:

"As the year-end deadline approaches to put in place a new trade agreement with Britain, EU leaders meeting on Thursday and Friday will tell their Brexit negotiator to step up talks to get a deal by Jan. 1, 2021, according to a draft summit decision seen by Reuters. UK negotiator David Frost is then due to tell Prime Minister Boris Johnson if he thinks it is worth continuing the tortuous negotiations and whether a deal on everything from trade to transport and energy cooperation is possible."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
WALK!!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »
WALK!!
Mike

Yes, no talks after tomorrow, we walk away & tell the EU they had their chance & blew it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

stellamaris

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »
I don't mind if they go through the motions until the 11th hour.  The EU need to save face and if the "talks" continue until the last minute they can tell the troublesome countries that they did their best.  Everyone knows France is being ridiculous.  It is all a game, and I don't think the UK is going to capitulate.  Whatever compromises there are to be made have already been decided upon, in my view.  It's now just a matter of selling EU compromises to the rest of them.   Erm.....hopefully.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
I don't think they should have brought the tortoise.

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »
France has always been bullish towards the Uk for a variety of reasons but their top man is looking to make his name on these negotiations, Germany is screaming at them to back off [i think thats what they shouted] if we are to start a tariff war they will both lose bigtime... we wont do too well either, but there are other doors for us...[/i]
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »
I don't think they should have brought the tortoise.
I think they mistook it for the turtle which the EU think they own.

So long and thanks for all the fish

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
we might want to discuss this tomorrow
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
Same story in the Express

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1347555/Brexit-news-trade-talks-deadline-EU-UK-Michel-Barnier-Boris-Johnson-latest

I have little doubt that the talks will continue. I have equally little doubt that there will be no deal where the EU recognise our right to chose who fishes our waters and there is no involvement of the ECJ in any UK law.

Continuing to talk is an exercise in futility and reaching a deal which does not fully recognise our status as a fully independent state is nothing less than a sellout.

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
if they want an extention then they have to pay us one billion per month

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:40:03 PM »
if they want an extention then they have to pay us one billion per month

Go Crabby, ;D you tell them..

Ashy

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »
They've managed to milk it for over four years now. In the words of the song, time to go.

(That's another brick in the wall btw)