Author Topic: E-mail advice please  (Read 1230 times)

Michael Rolls

E-mail advice please
« on: Oct 14, 2020, 10:50:34 PM »
In the next day or two I will be faced with the task of e-mailing something like 40 (!) pages of completed questionnaires to my solicitor. They fall into several distinct categories, and when she e-mailed them to me they came as pdf files of a number of pages each. When I have completed them I will have to use my scanner to make files but when I have done this in the past, the documents I have produced have never been more than three or four pages, so it was no problem to have each page as an attachment of a covering E-mail. This can be done here, of course, but it will be a right pain. anyone know how I can make a multi-page document into a single e-mail, please?
TIA
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

Re: E-mail advice please
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:56:30 AM »
Good Lord! Never had to face this challenge before, I have just discovered that my scanner has a facility that I have never used - the creation of a multi-page pdf document! Hopefully my question is answered. Never noticed the facility before - but then, I've only had the scanner about ten years - it takes a while for things to sink in!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:04:33 AM »
Needless to say - it's not that easy. The file needs to open in Photoshop which takes a long, long time - trying to use Word results in rubbish. Perhaps I am ahead of the game, perhaps not
Mike ??? ???

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:17:47 AM »

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:28:12 AM »
Alternatively if you use "Cute pdf" (free to install) you can check the jpegs in explorer, right click print, select cute pdf as printer.

As noted, photoshop elements will do it and also Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Professional.

Or send by post, it may be quicker.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:43:26 AM »
Alternatively if you use "Cute pdf" (free to install) you can check the jpegs in explorer, right click print, select cute pdf as printer.

As noted, photoshop elements will do it and also Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Professional.

Or send by post, it may be quicker.
I'm beginning to think that way!
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:00:03 AM »
I don't know how easy this is but I spotted

https://www.howtogeek.com/248462/how-to-combine-images-into-one-pdf-file-in-windows/
Thanks for the link - I've printed it of for studying - 14 pages makes me wonder if it will be above my level of expertise  - not hard

mike

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:25:43 AM »
 :) :) Best of luck

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:26:14 AM »
Thanks - I reckon I'll need it!
Mike

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »
I'd put all the individual pdfs (assuming you have produced them) into a folder (possibly with subfolders by category), zip the folder and add it as an attachment then email it. If the recipient is using Windows they don't even need to unzip it.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
Haven't  produced them yet - only just finished the answers on the hard copies. One question asks for correspondence with and from the landlord. That alone is 138 pages of A4. At the moment I am inclined to tell my solicitor that there is no way that I can cope practically with that. The actual answers pages I haven't counted, but they must be 50 or so
Mike  :( :(

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2020, 05:34:05 AM »
In fact, it works for me. I am now looking at another possible problem. Each scanned page at 200 dpi is nearly a megabyte in size. Somehow the files my solicitor sent are far smaller that 1mb even though the largest is 25 pages! I am going to try scanning at lower resolution to see if that makes things manageable whilst still keeping the results legible. I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that my scanner is nearly 20 years old, but is perfectly adequate for my normal needs.
Mike

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »
You are scanning the documents as pictures. The originals are essentially text documents - maybe word files. You'll never be able to send hundreds MB by email. Better to print them and send by post. Probably parcel post from the sounds of it.

There are such things as OCR programs (optical character recognition) in fact some printers even come with such software bundled but they wouldn't cope well with documents with hand written or marked replies.

Were the original documents you received PDFs or something you could just edit to add your replies, resave and return?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
Correct me if I am right but isn't it possible to edit pdf's using Libre Office (free)?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
they were pdfs but I couldn't understand the 'modify and return' idea, so I have printed them all out, handwritten the various responses and now need to return them. I am beginning to think that apart from a couple of vital ones (proof of identity, authority to proceed) which are no problem to e-mail, relying on Postman Pat does seem the best solution - in total the papers will virtually fill a lever arch file - correspondence with eh landlord alone - which in theory is all needed though I doubt it in fact - is 138 sheets of A4 and the questionnaires add forty or more pages to that
Mike