Author Topic: Circuit breaker  (Read 4484 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Circuit breaker
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:41:32 AM »
Oh, and just because people are scared into accepting those policies doesn’t mean that the policies will actually work. Prime example is the rule of six, which has absolutely no basis in logic. It is simply a number plucked out of thin air. If, as is claimed, the idea is to reduce the likelihood of person to person transmission, where is the evidence as to the degree of increased transmission compared to seven? Or the evidence as to why the number doesn’t need to be smaller?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2020, 07:38:01 AM »
Oh, and just because people are scared into accepting those policies doesn’t mean that the policies will actually work. Prime example is the rule of six, which has absolutely no basis in logic. It is simply a number plucked out of thin air. If, as is claimed, the idea is to reduce the likelihood of person to person transmission, where is the evidence as to the degree of increased transmission compared to seven? Or the evidence as to why the number doesn’t need to be smaller?
Mike

You should go into politics as you have the basic ability to twist & spin things.

The few people I speak to on a regular basis certainly aren't scared but they all support the lock downs as they think it makes sense.

I live in an area where everyone I see seems to be following the rules & the area has a very low infection rate & which has been put down to 'Lincolnshire and its residents have risen to the challenge of coronavirus'.

Just a very simple question for you, how many more people would have died if lock downs hadn't been enforced?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:03:21 AM »
You should go into politics as you have the basic ability to twist & spin things.

The few people I speak to on a regular basis certainly aren't scared but they all support the lock downs as they think it makes sense.

Just a very simple question for you, how many more people would have died if lock downs hadn't been enforced?
Thing is, Phil, as you must surely realize, that isn't a simple question - it's an impossible one which neither you, I nor anyone else can answer. Look at it another way - how many people would not have died from undiagnosed cancer or heart conditions had lockdown not been imposed - and don't forget, there is no proof that lockdown saved any lives in the long term - it may well simply have delayed them and/or contributed to mortality in other conditions.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:09:21 AM »
BTW - how many of those to whom you spoke were physically affected by lockdown? I.E. trying to keep a pub going, having to stop visiting friends/relatives, lost their job?
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:12:33 AM »
I don't think we should be using this terminology. This nonsense has gone on long enough.

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
I don't think we should be using this terminology. This nonsense has gone on long enough.

I agree, but I feel it's only right to challenge the 'lock down's stupid & isn't necessary' supporters who seem to be trying to dominate this thread & put the other view which is that lock down isn't stupid & is necessary, & to dispel the slur that those of us who accept the rules are stupid scared sheep.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
Phil
You are over-reacting - nobody has called you stupid, nor a scared sheep. Can you produce any evidence that another lockdown will work in the long term, or even that the previous one will?
Don't forget - right at the start of all this, we were told that, in common with most viral pulmonary conditions we could expect to see the incidence of cases fall when the weather turned warmer and sunnier, but that we could expect to see it increase in cold, damp conditions - and that is exactly what we saw and what we are seeing. It will be interesting to see what happens in Australia and New Zealand as they move into their summer - don't forget, their recent problems have occurred, are occurring, in their winters (a point that seems to have escaped the attention of some).
Perhaps I shouldn't have said the MORI poll showed how frightened folk have become - perhaps it would have been more accurate to say brainwashed.
Nobody in their right mind will deny that covid-19 is a nasty infection and is lethal to the most vulnerable, but even SAGE accept that for the young it is almost invariably a minor illness - and 'the young' far outnumber the most vulnerable
And for this we are ruining the economy, wrecking lives, seeing businesses go under, seeing domestic abuse increase, seeing suicides increase. The balance is wrong.
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:42:47 AM »
Perhaps we could settle for a couple of weeks off over Christmas.

xetog

« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »
All that lockdown proved is that the we are able to kick the can down the road.  Do we want to keep doing that in the hope that the first vaccine that comes along will stop it, unlikely as that may seem?  If the vaccine fails to provide comprehensive immunity it could be that 'circuit breakers' will be necessary for years if the logic is followed.  The latest I have heard is that we should lockdown during every school holiday...WHAT!  Can you just imagine that?

Deaths from hospital admissions are now down to 15% and deaths following infection may be as low as 0.02% according to DM which is comparable to many other diseases meaning that Covid-19 is no longer an exceptional disease. All the while the toll from other diseases is rising because those afflicted cannot get treatment.  Deaths from heart attacks, cancer and suicides are increasing far faster than those from Covid, surely it is time to change tack?

Politicians are unfortunately scared of U turns because it suggests their original choice was wrong.  It wasn't.  Covid-19 could have been another Ebola, or Aids (for which there is still no vaccine after decades of looking for one).  The first reaction was probably right, but now we know so much more, surely we can move on to another path?

My wife and I have discussed this and whilst we agree with continuing with some precautions as we would with say, a widespread flu epidemic, we would rather take our chances and make our own life or death decisions than live under this permanent cloud.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:49:29 AM »
My own feelings as well
Mike

Temperence

« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:41:49 PM »
You can add me to the group who challenge the necessity for lockdowns as well.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

biglouis

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:35:28 PM »
Ditto
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Temperence

« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:19:38 AM »
On another forum which I inhabit people were actively discussing the probability that they will break the rule of 6 and the lockdown over Christmas.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Michael Rolls

« Reply #28 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:24:12 AM »
Well, I’m pretty sure that there be some who do
Mike

zoony

« Reply #29 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:52:26 AM »
Perhaps the grandparents might pass but the rest of the family, perhaps not extended family or guests, would probably risk it..Difficult to predict as different families think different ways..as do different grandparents..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.