Author Topic: Polls  (Read 411 times)

klondike

Polls
« on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:55:18 PM »
Most forums have the option to create polls. I can think of a number of cases where a poll would be informative and give people the ability to make an anonymous vote on some subject or other.

I notice there is no option to create polls yet it is a supported feature of the Simple Machines software that runs the forum.
Do any of the old hands know if this was once possible but has been removed as I think the private messaging feature was?

Here is a non-private poll then....

Does anybody think it might add to the forum if it was enabled?

Can anybody see potential problems?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

Re: Polls
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »
Tricky question. Perhaps we should have a vote on it.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
Most forums have the option to create polls. I can think of a number of cases where a poll would be informative and give people the ability to make an anonymous vote on some subject or other.

I notice there is no option to create polls yet it is a supported feature of the Simple Machines software that runs the forum.
Do any of the old hands know if this was once possible but has been removed as I think the private messaging feature was?

Here is a non-private poll then....

Does anybody think it might add to the forum if it was enabled?

Can anybody see potential problems?

I can't recall the forum ever having a voting facility.

Voting & the reintroduction of private messaging would certainly remove some of the acrimony, especially with politics & other controversial topics.

Plus private messaging would be good for passing on information that's too risky for a public viewing such as when discussing the McCanns.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
I'd like one on the Covid rules. There seem to be quite a few folks not commenting on that subject.

I did look at some hosted polls and some freeware scripts and they were all rather naff. I would consider writing something fairly simple but not if the option has been removed for some reason. Easier still would be to ask Chris if it is a simple matter to enable the feature.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
I'd like one on the Covid rules. There seem to be quite a few folks not commenting on that subject.

I did look at some hosted polls and some freeware scripts and they were all rather naff. I would consider writing something fairly simple but not if the option has been removed for some reason. Easier still would be to ask Chris if it is a simple matter to enable the feature.

It would be good for everyone to be able to have a say via a vote as opposed to having to express a public opinion.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:45:51 PM »
Plus private messaging would be good for passing on information that's too risky for a public viewing such as when discussing the McCanns.
I think there may be only two people interested in that. Whenever I reawaken the thread on Brueckner pointing out the lack of any progress it dies a death with very few responses.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »
I think there may be only two people interested in that. Whenever I reawaken the thread on Brueckner pointing out the lack of any progress it dies a death with very few responses.

Well, as you know, the case has many facets that only the fool-hardy would post on an open forum & private messaging would enable it to be discussed by those who wish to know the facts & latest developments.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 10:33:10 PM »
I would like to see both polls and PMs enabled. I find them useful on other fora to which I belong
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:24:07 AM »

Blimey..  Imagine the strops of some on here.!! if members votes were not to their liking..!!
  Bring it on I say.. We need something to liven up the winter days..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

klondike

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:13:03 AM »
Not enough interest to ask Chris I fear but I may find the time to knock something up. Sadly it would need to use cookies and the paranoia I've seen expressed about those here (thank you EU) means I'd have to put extra code in asking for permission. Nothing much on today so maybe I'll make a start. It won't be posh. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »
Never mind posh, as long as comes
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2020, 12:27:37 PM »
Before starting I took another look at freebie options and found...

https://www.ferendum.com/en/

Which lets anybody set up a poll very easily. I imagine the poll page contains adverts but I don't see them and more importantly it doesn't start moaning about ad blockers. I don't know if it does anything about multiple votes and the like for the anonymous test poll on Covid regulations I have set up....

https://www.ferendum.com/en/PID507529PSD2097198963

As there are no votes in it at the moment other than mine and I guess most here will know where my vote went I'd suggest that you don't post to say you've used it as that would rather mess with the anonymity if that matters to you.

Hugh

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »
Regarding private messaging system I would leave the forum if one was reinstalled. On the other forum which I was a member, it was used to say a lot of evil things about me, and a few members were taken in, and I was pretty much banned from posting. Stalking was one of the words used.