Author Topic: Gold! And more gold!  (Read 466 times)

digitalis

Gold! And more gold!
« on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:10:36 AM »
Seriously! Wot to do with it all. When you are secure in your job,working from home,collecting more dosh and cant go out(gotta enough clothes,watches etc)...what can you do with it all.

Several of my friends are in the enviable position of having secured and well paid jobs. Both work from home(now covid's about). In big firms,with big pensions,they cant holiday or buy any more  gold tatt(Rolex or the like). No theatres. Their houses are all up to date...Now...what to do??????

I watch tv and listen to the radio. All those well paid personna on the box,all a-earning. And really big dosh. Wot-can-you-do-with-the-lolly?

Sure,there's investment. And (buying)more houses. But two,maybe three,is enough,surely.

Just wondering: how do you get rid of it all when you've got enough. Is there ever 'enough'. I remember once reading Buck House and the like got rid of their 'tatt' by pushing it down to the local charity shops. Anyone remember? I guess 'the Rock' or some underling took down the unwanted foreign state gifts that were over-loading the already over-crowded state garages of tatt. I guess if you went down to the local Oxfam you picked up some tomahawk or African shield.

As mentioned I leave my tatt in local stores or on any train or bus. I wonder what HRH does with his unwanted or unmentionables? I can see why you have to have more. I just sorta wonder where you stop when you are owning whole counties or countries. When you're getting it all...have it all...do you go into preaching...about having...less?

biglouis

Re: Gold! And more gold!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
Its nice to be comfortable and not have to worry about the bills but ...

This is something I could never understand. Sure a couple of houses in nice sunny locations are great, plus your own private limousine and so on. But owning more and more companies as Branson and Alan Sugar do? I dont see the point of it. Wealth of that order may bring power but that entails responsibility.

I keep thinking of the scene in Star Wars when Darth Vader says to Luke "We can rule the galaxy together". Geeze, who wants to rule the galaxy? Pay some other fecker to do it instead.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Temperence

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:38:00 PM »
I keep thinking of the scene in Star Wars when Darth Vader says to Luke "We can rule the galaxy together". Geeze, who wants to rule the galaxy? Pay some other fecker to do it instead.[/quote

;D ;D ;D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:02:15 AM »
Unfortunately my kids are not in a good position jobwise, so any money I save goes to help them out.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:48:07 AM »
Good for you girl..I'm sure they'd love you anyway but a bit of gratitude makes 'em wash up.. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

digitalis

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:01:53 AM »
I sorta wonder what those on UC (or more recently made unemployed) think when they look at tv and see all those presenters a-smiling and a-laughing. I always think what dosh they are earning. Especially the One Show. And which is why I dont watch the show.

Peculiar.

I seem to be particularly fascinated by the BBC. They love to waste dosh. 'I knew' Tony Wheeler the guy who owned Lonely Planet.  The bloke sold the concern for squillions to the BBC. Within 2 years it was down the Swannee: millions down the plug hole. My dosh,your dosh. No worries,we pick up the tab.

At times I just ruminate what on earth all those top BBC pups do with all their dosh. Might be worth a series on its own. BBC top gold earners: how we squirrel the gold.

Wonder what those recently retrenched on covid would make of it

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »
Wish I'd kept a paper from earlier in the week identifying the top ten earners in the BBC, but it was bad for my blood pressure.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
I did a quick google. It seems that either all the top ten are what the BBC dubiously label "talent" or that they don't divulge management's salaries.

I haven't seen quite a few in the top 10 at all on TV and don't even recognise the names at all of several. In fairness I don't watch much TV though.
So long and thanks for all the fish

digitalis

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:20:16 PM »
I read thru  BBC John Humphries pap take on covid in the DM today: pressed no take-to column on this thing to boost his ratings tho. He writes pap these days for which I must not criticize him. I worked out his savings and pension the other day. By my reckoning he must have £20 mill in assets easily. My guess is on rainy days he works out his savings and investments for something to do. £20,000,000...now that is with 12,000,000 in housing,£8.5 mill in stocks,£3 mill in bonds. Now add into that.... By 4hrs he's all but confused and gone back to beginning his count again. Started off at 1pm,now 3.55pm and he's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. Comforting counting money is. Better than counting sheep. By 5pm he's worked out he's better off than Dimbleby. But is he? The comparison is irksome...and annoying.

i dont think I will buy his latest book: retail price £43.74, now available on special offer at Amazon. It tells of him being born in Wales. I think I've heard his story x25.

The BBC. The corporation that goes on taking.

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2020, 05:31:49 PM »
I was shocked to find that we are paying councillors at least 11,000 a year for whatever it is they do, excluding junkets. The total bill for councillors was well over a million pounds and the number of households under 98,000.

klondike

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2020, 05:53:42 PM »
That was just the councillors. What did it cost for their vanity projects?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
They are up to their elbows in vanity  projects, they must have wasted millions on them. Transport for London was supposed to contribute to some of them, I don't know how when they are billions in debt now and the government, i.e. our children, have had to bail them out.

biglouis

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
And these parasites wonder why people complain about council tax and business rates! Id like to bet there will be a lot not paying it this year.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.