Author Topic: Poll on Covid regulations  (Read 399 times)

klondike

Poll on Covid regulations
« on: Oct 16, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
I mentioned polls in chat and a couple of people expressed an interest. I found a site offering free polls which are easy to set up. Here is an anonymous one I made earlier

What is your opinion of the Covid regulations

Anybody can set up their own poll here - https://www.ferendum.com/en/

So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

Re: Poll on Covid regulations
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:07:02 PM »
I voted for option 5 and make no secret of it.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »
5 here

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:45:15 PM »
Can’t remember if it was the worst option, that was me too much panic
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Temperence

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:28:38 PM »
I picked the last option too.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm a little surprised to see that in a forum for the rather more vulnerable the majority vote so far is for the regulations needing relaxing to save the economy. I had the impression that was so from the responses to my own lockdown sceptic posts but rather thought those not responding held the opposite view but didn't want to express that in public. Unless they also didn't feel up to expressing that view in an anonymous poll most here who care think the restrictions too harsh which is contrary to national opinion polls where 2/3 think they aren't harsh enough.

This is a puzzle to me for sure - if it isn't mostly the old wanting a harsher lockdown who is it? Could it be those in secure occupations shirking from home who want it to continue?
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
All polls are skewed when on contentious issues, with what respondents say isn't necessary what they would do when push came to shove. They are influenced by what they feel they ought to be saying and also by the way the question is phrased. Look at how a question on the rule of 6 might be phrased:

a. As it has been demonstrated that people gathering together increase the risk of infection, do you think it reasonable that the government should limit the size of gatherings, and if so, do you support the rule of 6?

b. Although it is accepted that people gathering together increase the risk of infection, experts advise that there is no evidence to identify than an upper limit of six has any expectation of being of significance in limiting the spread - do you support it?

c. The government have imposed a limit on social gatherings of six persons from not more than two families, despite there being no scientific evidence to support such a policy - do you think it is acceptable?

All pretty loaded - obviously i have no idea how the actual question was phrased, but I am sure that if you were to put a different one of those three
question to three random pilot groups you would differing levels of support for the policy. Does anyone know what the question actually was?
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
Also, as I mentioned on another thread, it is always easy to be tough at someone else's expense. Limit that MORI poll to people directly affected by the policies, rather than random Joe Public, and I am pretty sure the response would have been very different.
Mike

Temperence

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:58:29 PM »
As MR has shown questions in polls can be loaded so as to elicit certain answers. Perhaps it is only we older people and those who actually own or run a business who can see the bigger picture of how the economy is being damaged. Then there is toll of all the collateral damage of increased suicides, domestic abuse, undiagnosed and untreated illnesses, missed education and so on.

Much of this will not be fully appreciated until some time down the road aways.

So I am cynical about the motivation of those who want another lockdown and am asking myself who benefits?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:05:05 AM »
Long term I am not convinced many will  benefit, although I am convinced that the country as a whole will suffer
Mike