Author Topic: Tears at the Cenotaph: Showtime with H and Megs  (Read 640 times)

digitalis

Tears at the Cenotaph: Showtime with H and Megs
« on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
The 11th is always a great showtime: great dressing and human plumage. Lottsa bigwig generals and jangling medals and so on. The DM says HandM wont be there. Must be a bit sad,me thinks. This showtime would have meant something to H,sometime to dress up and be seen and respected. Megs cooda looked on from on high with the big wigs,televised around the country to give her airtime and 'weight'. Still,no show. I think H will miss it. Back in the City of Angles he'll be sitting on some tatt sofa wondering what he'll do with his day,maybe with whiskey in hand. No show. Instead o commanding his limbless ex vets his wife will be trying to ring-around c list celebs to claw her way up Hollywoods greasy pole. Oh dear.

I wont be watching the show. And avoiding the day. 'The Circus' as the last WW1 vet called it. Still,if I do recall it,I shall think of H all alone in his tawdry Hollywood mansion in the sunshine. I wonder if he'll tune in to the show. At the cenotaph I guess he mitta commanded some status. Back home,he seems to be just some jump-bunny for his wife. Maybe best to book in to AA before he needs to get in there. In true American fashion I guess they give discounts for joining early.

Tears on my pillow.

klondike

Re: Tears at the Cenotaph: Showtime with H and Megs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
I always feel it a shame that the great tradition of our rulers leading the troops into battle was dropped post George II. I wouldn't expect Liz in a chariot with scythes on the wheels to lead the way of course as monarchs no longer rule - that's the politicians. I can just see Blair and Bush in shiny armour on dashing white warhorses leading the troops into Iraq waving their swords and crying ONWARD. Perhaps the tradition should be re-introduced as it might make the silly sods less keen on poking their noses in and early retirement for those who didn't.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »
i wonder will the Cenotaph be protected from the hoards of unwashed who realised its significance
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
They aren't protecting the Cenotaph. Take away our glorious leaders and the protectors go with them.

xetog

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
I too wonder if Harry, now to be referred to as Mr Markle thinks "is this it?"  As sedentary consort to a second rate foreign actress.  His life stretching out before him to simply be rolled out at celebrity events and supporting roles.

Mike,X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »
Plenty of other ex-squaddies would swap I'm sure.

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
His life stretching out before him to simply be rolled out at celebrity events and supporting roles.

Mike,X

No basic difference from his life in the Royal Family, just different events & supporting roles.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
Perhaps with the remembrance parade cancelled this year, we should all clap for our fallen soldiers, just as we did for the NHS workers ? 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »
I hadn't realised that it was cancelled, but under the circumstance I suppose it was inevitable
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:00:10 PM »
I think there is just a small ceremony Mike with Government laying a wreath, no parade.

digitalis

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »
I'm not one that thinks about Megs and H that much. But when the DM includes it in news,I give them a thought.

Alas,I think Wills got it about right: H became besotted with her,didnt think things thru. I guess the sex might have been good,but this gal has been schooled in not only how to shake your booty,but get the cake and eat it too. Hands up,she's hit jackpot: now got the man-kid,got the babby,got the kiss and tell story if it all goes butt up...the lot,really. Poor olde H: not many brains and now a gofer in Hollywood. I dont wish to be unkind: its the sort of mistake I would make. But forever I cant see any future for him but the public feeling pity for him(and who wants that?). No the lad's made a mistake,a very big one at that. I really dont know where the future is going to take him. Sure,he wont be homeless or without dosh,but his public humiliation at being taken in by a showgirl will take a lotta bottle. I suppose worse things happen at sea?

Temperence

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:13:18 PM »
They are the modern day version of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor - wandering the world with no purpose except a life of empty celebrity.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »
H at least used to serve a purpose in promoting and organising the Invictus Games. I think he even gave up on that didn't he?

digitalis

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
Yes,I should be shamed. But sometimes amongst my failings I do have some honesty. The bloke married a 'wrong un'. I do feel for the bloke,but at the same time...well,let's just say,not so much(far less in fact)than I feel for many back here suffering from unemployment,covid and the like. There's many ordinary folk who are having it tough thesedays. Really tough.

Temperence

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »
I think H was genuinely sorry at having to give up the invictus games but he was made to give up all his military titles.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing