Author Topic: Jackdaws  (Read 1361 times)

zoony

Jackdaws
« on: Oct 17, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
Something just prompted a memory of a jackdaw that used to hang around near school and seemed to enjoy the company of a particular kid..I've heard of this happening with school kids and wondered if it was as common as it might be? Any memories of such?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

granny moss

Re: Jackdaws
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »
Had a visit from a beautiful Magpie today !  Is it crows that make a friend and bring small presents ? I wish I could have one....gmx

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »
I think many of the Corvids are aware of humans GM and they're certainly smart..Other birds and creatures too. Perhaps a random act of kindness when very young wakens some instinct in them. I saw an article the other day about a young hang-glider enthusiast who's been following some vultures to find and use the same thermals as they do, who seems to've been adopted by a couple of them that seem to enjoy flying in formation with him and his mate..

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
i am a country boy at heart, and love nature, tho not in all its guises
for example Magpies, these beautiful birds are actually very nasty birds, i had a friend at the pit who was a member of RSPB, but spent his spring early summer searching for Magpies nests and culling their eggs or even their young, because unbeknown to us mere mortals this is exactly what the Magpie does. when we were young it was said to be good luck to spot a Magpie, but today every second bird one sees is a magpie, there are about twelve living in a tree near us... in an earlier thread some of you asked what was happening to our small birds, the answer is they were taken by Magpies, they search out nests and take either eggs or young, or in fact the adult birds, finches to sparrows are disappearing, so next time you see a beautiful Magpie, trust me you are looking at an assasin...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:27:58 AM »
Crows do the same but are less urbanised. I've seen blackbirds vainly trying to protect a hatchling from a crow in the past. So too does every scavenger or bird of prey. It's the way of the world. Who are we to interfere? I'm surprised that somebody associated with the RSPB took it upon themselves to kill magpies.
So long and thanks for all the fish

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
so havent you seen the explosion of magpies in our country?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
In 16+ years, the number of magpies I have seen up here could probably be counted on one's fingers, possibly even the fingers of one hand.
As to nature red in touch and claw, I don't know how accurate it may be, but I once read a claim that 80% of every living creature on the planet was destined to be eaten alive by something bigger
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
get on with your documentation old chap.. ;D

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
so havent you seen the explosion of magpies in our country?
There are a lot of magpies. There are a lot of pigeons too. Clearly two highly successful species. Come to that there are a lot of Scots, Irish, Poles and Pakistanis. Meanwhile white English are in decline. Where are you going with this?

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
the Scots Irish Poles and pakistranoes keep pecking away at the English  roses [well it would be rude not to] so we are gradually eliminating the pure English strain.... allegedly

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
the Scots Irish Poles and pakistranoes keep pecking away at the English  roses [well it would be rude not to] so we are gradually eliminating the pure English strain.... allegedly

"..pure English strain.."?? Do me a favour.. there's never been such an animal. ;)

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »
please old chap there are children listening

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
No, there aren't..

cowboy wisdom.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:11:20 PM »
There may well be no such thing but I'm 100% sure that the majority here would know what he meant by that.

biglouis

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »
I dont like the magpies because they chase the smaller birds away and dont give them a chance. For all their bad press pigeons seem to be able to co-exist more peacefully with the smaller birds and I often see them eating alongside one another. However the pigeons do gobble up everything pretty quickly.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.