Author Topic: Ready for take off  (Read 1688 times)

zoony

Re: Ready for take off
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2020, 12:40:52 AM »
Rather you than me mate..I enjoy animals but don't have a pet..Taking care of 'em for money is acceptable..Still, must be a bit peculiar settling into somebody else's house that isn't used to you..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2020, 10:08:47 AM »

Yooooohooooo!!  Hi Yogi.. Good to see you back..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

biglouis

« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »
Personally I think dogs and cats are well provided with fur coats and seeing them in "clothes" is a bit naff unless the animal is very delicate or one of the hairless kind being out in cold weather. Still, its a living for someone.

No doubt I will be told off by some indignant pet owner that as I dont have a dog just now I have no right to express an opinion on this.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #33 on: Oct 22, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
Feel free to express whatever opinions you wish on subjects where you have zero knowledge. I only reserve the right to ignore them as I so often do.
So long and thanks for all the fish

biglouis

« Reply #34 on: Oct 22, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »
You may be sure the feeling is mutual about some of your ramblings. Incidentally I grew up in a house with dogs but we never felt the need to dress them up other than in what nature had already given them.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Temperence

« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2020, 04:25:18 PM »
Klondike I dont see the need to be quite so nasty in a way which shows you up in a not very nice light. If you read BLs post he does say that some delicate and short haired dogs like Chihuahuas may need to be dressed in a simple covering for winter outings and this is correct. However dogs with thick coats certainly to not need this. If he thinks dressing dogs up in funny clothes is "naff" then he is entitled to his opinion. Its one which I happen to share.

It may seem like harmless fun to dress dogs in silly costumes and some owners may feel that their pets enjoy it. Sure the pets enjoy the extra fuss and attention they may get for a short period. Dogs are programmed by nature to please us. They have no say in the matter when their owners decide to dress them up. After a short time thick haired dogs can become over heated in coats and sweaters and it can actually irritate their skin if done for long periods.

I do believe it says something about the owners own image rather than the happiness of their pets. The dog or cat becomes a mere fashion accessory. Have they ever considered the reaction their pet may be sending out to other dogs when they walk them out wearing knickers and suits? It can lead to confusion and aggression. There are plenty of ways to show your love, but dressing a pet up in miniature versions of human clothes is unnatural, unnecessary and unkind.

And just for the record, looking after pets in my JOB so I do know at least as much about it as anyone here.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

klondike

« Reply #36 on: Oct 22, 2020, 04:36:08 PM »
Klondike I dont see the need to be quite so nasty in a way which shows you up in a not very nice light.
Perhaps you need to read more BL posts. She got the reply she deserved. I don't take kindly to being told that the forum members have a brain cell they pass around between them and other similar tosh. Her casual racist terms for her neighbours  don't go down well with me either.

On the question of the need to dress dogs it depends on their size which determines the ratio of their surface area to body mass. Something the size of a wolf with a coat to match is quite happy in the cold however a dog such as a chihuahua could easily die in exactly the same conditions and even those a bit larger will be very uncomfortable.

Temperence

« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2020, 04:52:06 PM »
I have read some of BLs posts and I dont agree with all their views, especially on shooting refugees. I have seen some other members expressing far more extreme racist sentiments. None of these views were expressed on this thread.

Calling someone out on one thread for things they have said on another is poor debating practice

Pulling out one remark from a posting and twisting it to your own ends is also poor debating practice.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

klondike

« Reply #38 on: Oct 22, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
The comment that annoyed me is in this thread.

No doubt I will be told off by some indignant pet owner that as I dont have a dog just now I have no right to express an opinion on this.

It reminded me of the war BL seems to want to conduct with the forum in general.

In any event I am not going to continue this discussion.

Alex22

« Reply #39 on: Oct 22, 2020, 06:16:31 PM »
"Poor debating practice "  ?   come on, this is Pensioners Forum.......  🤓

Michael Rolls

« Reply #40 on: Oct 22, 2020, 06:34:16 PM »
Temperance
Whilst it may not be immediately obvious, BL is a lady, not a gentleman
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!