Author Topic: The PETS we love....  (Read 641 times)

biglouis

Re: The PETS we love....
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
My nephew Chris was very upset when his last cat Chloe had to be put to sleep and his flatmate (a big lad of 6 ft 4 ins ) cried like a baby. She was a good age - nearly 20, and began to have fits. However she was still eating and moving around in between. But she seemed to get weaker after each fit and it was obviously affecting her heart. She was always a small cat and he was careful not to over feed her.

When he took her to the vet she said almost at once that nothing could be done for her and advised putting her to sleep. However she said that Chloe was very small and thin almost as though Chris had been neglecting her. He was very much upset by that. He had her cremated and has a little glass tube with her ashes.

He said at first that he would not get another cat but a friend bought him Buddy who was a "sort of" rescue cat. An acquaintance had paid £250 for him but decided he did not want a kitten after all so he sold him to Chris for £50. I dont know how anyone can decide that they dont like a kitten but Buddy is now a fully grown and very handsome ginger cat with beautiful markings.  He is busy training Chris and the flatmate to attend to his needs.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2020, 05:25:22 PM »
The thought of buying a kitten, or any other young animal, and then deciding you don’t want him/her is totally beyond me. To my mind identifies a mind not wholly engaged
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
It was claimed that the kitten had "accidents" on the carpet (only to be expected with a new young animal) but Chris says Buddy was fully trained to use a tray from the get go. Usually the mother trains kittens.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Temperence

« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2020, 12:12:56 AM »
This is a common misconception that mother cats train kits to use the litter box. Its natural for them to scratch in leaves, soil etc and this behaviour is used to train them how to use the litter tray. You do it by placing the tray where they can see it and bringing them to if after feeding, exercise and on waking. If they use it or just scratch about in it you reward them. Punishing cats does not work - the carrot is better than the stick. They will pretty quickly learn what the litter tray is for.  Once they are trained to use it cats will "tell" you when they want it emptied.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Michael Rolls

« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2020, 03:41:24 AM »
Fleur used to sleep on the bed with us - and then just with me - and snored in her later years. I actually have a short recording! She also had a habit of clearing her throat, funny little noise, hard to describe, but I have heard from time to time since she died. It took a while to realise that what I was hearing wasn’t a canine ghost, but a gust of wind blowing rain against the window
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2020, 06:46:29 AM »
I mentioned that after coming in covered in snow, Fleur delighted in being de-iced !  with the hair dryer and then being wrapped in a towel for a snooze. Here's the proof that a dog's life isn't all bad! 😁
Mike

granny moss

« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:21:08 AM »
That dog she thinks she is a baby....!  Is she ?  :)    gmx

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
She used to love being held like that, even without the excuse of having been bathed or cleared of snow - our previous dog (inherited when Veronica's mum died) was a Golden Retriever - wouldn't have fancied trying to hold Lucy like that!
The towel was only in evidence after a bath or snow removal. Fleur was happy to doze like that right up to her last days at 15 years, 4 months and 3 days
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
Oh, and it wasn't unusual for her her to doze like that for quarter of an hour or more
Mike

Hugh

« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
Would love to see Raven do that with her dog ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
😁😁😁😁

Raven

« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »
Would love to see Raven do that with her dog ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dream On. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hugh

« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D