Author Topic: Labour at its worst.  (Read 600 times)

Cee Gee

Labour at its worst.
« on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:51:24 AM »
Our local council have used £40m of reserves over the last four years and are strapped for cash, despite this they are borrowing another £306 for re-generation vanity projects that has pushed up the MRP to 14.2%. Covid 19 has made a real mess on top.
The council leader has just announced that the have just bought our Large town centre shopping mall for an undisclosed sum. There has been no discussion about this in agendas or meetings with full council. A local councillor said he was never aware of this until the public announcement. it seems that it was done by cabinet.
This is an extract from another meeting prior to the announcement.
The Committee will be aware that Council is seeking to achieve cost reductions in order to meet an anticipated budget gap of circa £30m. This includes the application of initiatives across three themes: Assets & Property, People and Service Transformation. As part of the approach to the People theme, a set of Workforce Reduction Proposals has been developed and agreed by Council.

It just beggars belief.

digitalis

Re: Labour at its worst.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2020, 08:07:14 AM »
Didnt they used to cover all this in local newspapers Now,no reporters,copied news. Also,no one will buy the papers,as less local news is reported.

Surely in the days of zoom and the like an automatic camera could be time set to record live such meetings so that interested parties could view the goings on from their living rooms.

The smartest guys in the room are now those coming from afar. Not always of course. The best malpractice or wastages of monies are those that you will never hear about. Like murders: the best ones are not recorded or well hidden. You dont brag about any crime or malpractice if you want to continue walking the streets. Daylight robbery is best done thru opaque,chosen sleight of hand.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »

The smartest guys in the room are now those coming from afar.

Yep, their ethnicity originates in countries where corruption in public office is standard practice.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

digitalis

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
You read between my lines Diasi. 10/10!!

As in so many things theseadays,I have to applaud their audacity. Or should I say,mendacity!!

We will never know so many things as well because they are so well hidden.

Its all so tragically sad.

Hugh

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2020, 03:51:05 PM »
Large town malls have had there day and owners are trying to sell them if they can. Most shopper now use out of town shopping centre or on line. Far easier and no expensive car park fees.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
Our local council, although based in another town, has taken to blocking up side streets so motors have to go a long way round. Goodness knows why they want to do it, there is no electoral advantage to them and no one has asked them to do it. No local people will be employed on the work either.

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »
I spoke to the leader of BCC saying that a cycle lane would not work and said I would e mail him. He turned round and said he would require a letter which I did.  My letter was ignored and this happened.
Of course Birmingham City Council is Labour.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=771643550264394

klondike

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
Our local council, although based in another town, has taken to blocking up side streets so motors have to go a long way round. Goodness knows why they want to do it, there is no electoral advantage to them and no one has asked them to do it. No local people will be employed on the work either.
maybe you don't know your area as well as you thought? They did the same thing years back in Northampton to discourage the kerb crawlers who were making life hell for the local residents. Even grannies couldn't nip down to the corner shop past 7:00pm without being offered an income boost.
So long and thanks for all the fish

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:50:52 AM »
I spoke to the leader of BCC saying that a cycle lane would not work and said I would e mail him. He turned round and said he would require a letter which I did.  My letter was ignored and this happened.
There are government grants for this. Local TV News here covers Hull as the TV transmitter is 40 odd miles away and apparently they have installed cycle lanes all over the city. There isn't a week goes by without complaints about them being covered.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Hugh

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »
Cycle lanes through where I live have become off road car parks, so just a waste of money.

Hugh

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
Labour councilors no matter where you live seem to have a bad reports. Our council rather than invest in a good hotel for Mansfield spent our money on hotels else where. At least we now have an excellent conservative MP who really is fighting hard on our behalf. Although Mansfield doesn't offer much for tourist there is plenty in surrounding areas. Centre Parc knew this and built their first one near Mansfield 1986.