Author Topic: South Yorkshire  (Read 926 times)

Michael Rolls

South Yorkshire
« on: Oct 21, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
So now S Yorks goes to level 3 from Saturday.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

Re: South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2020, 10:43:30 AM »
bugger me im supposed to be there on friday
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
I posted a follow up which has somehow disappeared. Burnham in Manchester is unhappy at lever 3 being imposed - but his unhappiness seems to centre around his claim that the government aren't offering enough financial support. Jarvis in Yorks is happy with the finance on offer
Could these leaders be more interested in the money than the virus?
I've also tried to find numbers behind the decision for Yorks, and all I can find is that admissions have doubled in the last ten days, but no idea what that actually means - 1 to 2? 5 to 10? 10 to 20? 50 to 100? It would be nice to know these things
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
bugger me im supposed to be there on friday
Will you be staying? You may be expected not to travel from a level 3 area to one of lower risk
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »
That's my area of course. Infection rates and hospital admissions have been rising.  People can still travel for work, to care for someone etc.  Social life will be curtailed.

Although I'm not normally a Labour supporter, Dan Jarvis has always struck me as intelligent,  with some common sense and life experience.  I've not seen evidence of him trying to score political points just for the sake of it.  We'll have to see how things go.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
I can only see the data by NHS region and the closest is North East and Yorkshire.
https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsregion&areaName=North%20East%20and%20Yorkshire

There are 7 regions so each is a sizeable area. This data is slow arriving and the biggest 7 day average I can see right now is 180. The national figure for 16 Oct is 860 and the day before is the highest on my spreadsheet at 988.

If hospital admissions at those levels are high enough to threaten the NHS with its 120,000 beds then I'd suggest it cannot be fit for purpose and the sooner it gets privatised the better.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2020, 11:49:25 AM »
Sorry but since the outbreak of dempanic, nobody and nothing gets better.

I'll amplify that a bit. What is the relevance of hospital admissions if they never tell you the rate of discharge.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
that would giving too much information to the great unwashed

klondike

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
They do give the total in hospital with Covid and deaths so a spreadsheet could show that. More important imo is that we don't get proper data on where the infection was actually contracted. Somebody going into hospital for any reasons get a daily covid swab while in hospital and should one of those show positive they become a covid admission. There was more to it than that in what I read but there is so much info in my head already on this I can't recall everything.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
Will you be staying? You may be expected not to travel from a level 3 area to one of lower risk
Mike

Crabby lives in South Yorkshire so I assume he isn't at home now.

We're on the Nottinghamshire / South Yorkshire borders.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
Ah,  thanks.
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
I agree, we need to know more about what people were doing to contract this disease, if indeed they have, so that we can as a population avoid similar circumstances.

klondike

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
Mixing with people that had it. The only sure fire way to avoid catching it is to become a hermit. Each notch you go down from that adds to the chance you'll catch it. Nothing else you do at all short of wearing a high grade NBC suit is going to make a ha'porth of difference.

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2020, 02:50:28 PM »
I have every reason to think that is correct but there might be something that poses a far higher risk.

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2020, 11:35:40 PM »
Talking about the Virus today with my husband.  Three winters ago when he was very ill, our local hospital was barely coping. He spent two nights on the edge of A & E in a makeshift bed in a waiting room before he got up to the ward. 

Every year we hear our hospitals are in the same boat, so even a few Covid cases could overwhelm them, this is what it's all about a creeking NHS.