Author Topic: Smokers,  (Read 1930 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: Smokers,
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »
Actually, giving up smoking was easy. Must have done it at least half a dozen times!
To be honest, the final time - which stuck - was brought about purely by economic necessity. My first wife and I both smoked, but one day, new homeowners with, by the standards of day, a hefty mortgage, we decided fags had to go  - and they did. I have a feeling that had either one of us been on their own, it would nhsve been so easy, but at the end of each month we sat down, worked out how much we had saved, and allowed ourselves a small treat, usually a meal out
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bee

« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
With some of the latest posts I have just read, could someone tell me if this is...pick on Bee day............anyway I have done with this thread now and in future I will be careful on which threads I post comments on. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The only way is up....

zoony

« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »
I thought you were doing rather well myself Bee.. One of the things about living alone is that I don't have to go into the garden to enjoy a smoke..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

ronyork

« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »
To me it’s. Not anti Bee day ,To me it’s anti anybody who stinks of fags day , Now a more pleasentafternoon I am driving along to see Audrey in the care home, which l am paying for isthat fair!

biglouis

« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
could someone tell me if this is...pick on Bee day
Now you know what its like to be on the receiving end of a witch hunt when the silly little clique get going.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Jacqueline

« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2020, 01:47:54 PM »
I wouldn't have a go at you Bee about smoking, I was a walking chimney myself once but gave up years ago.  All my family smoked, I was bought up in a fog.

I don't have to tell you I expect you are perfectly aware of the health risks,  I'm not going to preach as I am failing miserably at loosing weight for my diabetes and know what harm it is doing to me.

I remember a 1940's film, can't remember what it was called or even what it was about only one thing stuck in my mind, a women goes into her doctor's surgery, he says, "congratulations Mrs whatsyourname, your pregnant, then offers her a cigarette! how times have changed. 

crabbyob

« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2020, 01:51:15 PM »
back in the day you couldnt see the doc when you walked in
he was engulfed in a blue smog
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Jacqueline

« Reply #37 on: Oct 23, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
back in the day you couldnt see the doc when you walked in
he was engulfed in a blue smog

My childhood GP was like that, he sat behind his desk smoking his pipe with his dog on the chair next to him.

Alex22

« Reply #38 on: Oct 23, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
I gave up smoking in 1982 but it wasn't the fear of cancer that made me give up . I saw a photo in a magazine of a woman in her late 30s sitting in a wheelchair, she'd had both legs amputated as a result of smoking.  The disease is known as PAD and every year about 10,000 people in UK lose a limb with this.  It was enough to frighten me into doing something about my 30+ a day habit.  Incidentally the woman in the wheelchair was sitting puffing on a cigarette.

Scrumpy

« Reply #39 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:01:04 PM »
With some of the latest posts I have just read, could someone tell me if this is...pick on Bee day............anyway I have done with this thread now and in future I will be careful on which threads I post comments on. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Pick on Bee day..

Don’t throw a wobbly.. make a nice cup of tea and have a fag..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2020, 03:07:28 PM »

Pick on Bee day..

Don’t throw a wobbly.. make a nice cup of tea and have a fag..

😁😁😁  what a sensible idea

crabbyob

« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2020, 04:01:02 PM »
yep i never really found anything that could quite replace
a cuppa tea an a fag..
actually my fav was before dawn, in the early sixties, open the flue on the yorky fire-range
put the kettle on the gas cooker, two spoons of sugar an half a spoon of Nescafe
and milk from one of those bottles of milk that required a bottle opener, pour the boiled water into the mug, top up wi the sterilised milk a quick stir, light a Park-Drive sit at the fire and for the first time in my life see the little silverfish darting everywhere... memories or what, dash up the road for the five a.m. bus to the pit...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

klondike

« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2020, 05:21:15 PM »
Did once see a chap walking along in the middle of such a large cloud of smoke that I thought that he was on fire, but it was this vaping thing
We look out for them. Whoever spots one first has to tell the other that they've seen Thomas (the tank engine).

You can see huge clouds come out of car windows too if they aren't going fast. Some would make James Bond proud.

Fill your boots - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vaping+competitions&aq=f
So long and thanks for all the fish

Bee

« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »
I thought you were doing rather well myself Bee.. One of the things about living alone is that I don't have to go into the garden to enjoy a smoke..

Thanks for those kind words zoony.............I live on my own but I much prefer to smoke in the garden..........when the weather is good. ;D ;D
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:16:25 PM »
Now you know what its like to be on the receiving end of a witch hunt when the silly little clique get going.

Yep! ;D ;D
The only way is up....