Author Topic: Smokers,  (Read 1919 times)

Bee

Re: Smokers,
« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »
I wouldn't have a go at you Bee about smoking, I was a walking chimney myself once but gave up years ago.  All my family smoked, I was bought up in a fog.

I don't have to tell you I expect you are perfectly aware of the health risks,  I'm not going to preach as I am failing miserably at loosing weight for my diabetes and know what harm it is doing to me.

I remember a 1940's film, can't remember what it was called or even what it was about only one thing stuck in my mind, a women goes into her doctor's surgery, he says, "congratulations Mrs whatsyourname, your pregnant, then offers her a cigarette! how times have changed.

Thanks for your reply Jaqueline, both my parents smoked although both gave up in their later years, I also had 3 older brothers that smoked.

I have given up 2 or 3 times over the years but then I went through a traumatic experience a few years back and I turned to the smoking for comfort..........I actually buy rolling tobacco and roll my own. ;D
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #46 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »

Pick on Bee day..

Don’t throw a wobbly.. make a nice cup of tea and have a fag..

Thanks Scrumpy but do you mind if I have a cup of milky coffee and a fag, cos I can't abide tea. ;D ;D ;D
The only way is up....

klondike

« Reply #47 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
I can recommend catching flu should you actually want to pack up. You know how it is with a bad cold - it's not pleasant but you have to force yourself. Well if you get flu bad enough you can't even do that. I went two weeks gasping for a fag when I had flu many years back. I started recovering from the flu and was going to see if I could manage a fag when a little voice in my head (not like Brian's - I knew it wasn't real) said to me two weeks plus without a fag - I reckon you've given up. I had - never had one since.

That recommendation wasn't to be taken seriously BTW. I reckon flu at the sort of ages we are on here is going to do a lot more harm than the evil weed.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Bee

« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
Actually, giving up smoking was easy. Must have done it at least half a dozen times!
To be honest, the final time - which stuck - was brought about purely by economic necessity. My first wife and I both smoked, but one day, new homeowners with, by the standards of day, a hefty mortgage, we decided fags had to go  - and they did. I have a feeling that had either one of us been on their own, it would nhsve been so easy, but at the end of each month we sat down, worked out how much we had saved, and allowed ourselves a small treat, usually a meal out
Mike

Actually the few times I have given up I found it easy but as I have posted in another post I went through a traumatic experience and turned back to the smoking for comfort.
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:30:05 PM »
I can recommend catching flu should you actually want to pack up. You know how it is with a bad cold - it's not pleasant but you have to force yourself. Well if you get flu bad enough you can't even do that. I went two weeks gasping for a fag when I had flu many years back. I started recovering from the flu and was going to see if I could manage a fag when a little voice in my head (not like Brian's - I knew it wasn't real) said to me two weeks plus without a fag - I reckon you've given up. I had - never had one since.

That recommendation wasn't to be taken seriously BTW. I reckon flu at the sort of ages we are on here is going to do a lot more harm than the evil weed.

I have never had the flu and don't remember the last time I had a cold..I also have the flu jab every year.
The only way is up....

Ashy

« Reply #50 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:49:34 PM »
Figures for September show that the greatest cause of death was dementia and Alzheimers, ahead of lung cancer and heart disease and stroke. Miles above covid.

biglouis

« Reply #51 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:52:25 PM »
At least 3 members of my family died of smoking related diseases - father, one uncle and one aunt. That would have been enough to make me give up if I had ever started. When I was a young woman in the 1960s I was in the minority in being a non smoker. It was considered glamorous and gave you "something to do with your hands".
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #52 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:45:34 AM »
I don't know about glamorous, it was just normal for me and what everybody/ most people did..Mum and Dad did, all the various uncles and aunts did, all the movie stars and musicians did so I did too. By the time the jury was in about the health risks I was in my early 20s and had begun using it as a vehicle for my drug of choice. Smoking very much belonged in the life-style of a jobbing musician in the US.. I'm now in my 70s but I'm happy with the choices I made. Though my health reflects those choices, things might've been so much worse.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Temperence

« Reply #53 on: Oct 24, 2020, 01:00:10 AM »
Just look at the number of mid century Hollywood films which glamourise smoking! The most famous has got to be Now Voyager where Bette Davis has to say goodbye to her lover. They agree to “have a last cigarette” on it. Fade out to swelling music …

Princess Margaret smoked and she was considered one of the most beautiful young women of her time.

You can’t really blame young people of the period for following up on that sort of example.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

GrannyMac

« Reply #54 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:38:21 AM »
My parents smoked, my in-laws smoked, my OH and I smoked.  I decided to give up properly when my mother died. She had dementia, and although its not caused by smoking, it doesn't help.  I saw a hypnotherapist, because I really enjoyed a cig, and my previous attempts hadn't worked, even after a bad bout of bronchitis! That was more than 25 years ago, and I've not touched one since.  My OH gave up the following year, his heart attack was his inspiration. 🙄

I certainly wouldn't criticise Bee, zoony, or any of our generation for smoking.  But young people have knowledge that wasn't there when we started, and they still smoke.  I think thats barmy.   My OH said the other evening, after a nice meal when we were having a glass of port, that was the kind of moment when he really would have enjoyed a smoke, and I agreed.  😎

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #55 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
In the words of Hawkeye in MASH 'Sex isn't everything - there's smoking in the dark afterwards'
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

klondike

« Reply #56 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:54:57 AM »
Blimey - I've never got that hot. Sweaty yes but smoking  :o
So long and thanks for all the fish

Michael Rolls

« Reply #57 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:04:32 AM »
Blimey - I've never got that hot. Sweaty yes but smoking  :o
I don't that was he meant!
Mike 😁😁👍👍
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!