Author Topic: BBC & Ethnic minorities  (Read 5040 times)

Jacqueline

Re: BBC & Ethnic minorities
« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »
Frankly I am sick of black history month, black lives matter etc. for minorities they sure make their presence known.  When people shove themselves in my face like this it just annoys me.

GrannyMac

« Reply #31 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
Sorry bee if, like me, you are white, you are racist.  This is now a received fact, no matter how anti-racist you have been throughout your life, you are racist for the most racist of reasons, your skin is white.  I always thought I was particularly colour blind having worked with and employed many people of different colours, but now I have been told I am white, therefore I must be racist, I find that my resolve has weakened and I am seeing many ways to see faults in those with a different epidermis.

Mike.X

I don't agree that being white means we are ALL racist. I know some people and organisations hold that view, but they are wrong. We know some people are openly racist, others covertly, some not at all. In one of the quotes in Bee's posts the descendent, many generations on, of a black man, is classed as white. Is he, knowing his ancestry, racist?  Attitude and behaviour are surely more important than mere skin colour in how we should judge others.   IMO.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

firenze

« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:03:33 PM »
Religions are a subject I have been battered by.  My Father was an Aetheist my Molther a Catholic.  I compounded this experience by living in Northern Ireland and then in South Africa.   I studiously stick to a state of ambivalence, l listen to Sunday services and watch on t.v. I stay in my 'I don't know bubble'
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Jacqueline

« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:12:19 PM »
Religions are a subject I have been battered by.  My Father was an Aetheist my Molther a Catholic.  I compounded this experience by living in Northern Ireland and then in South Africa.   I studiously stick to a state of ambivalence, l listen to Sunday services and watch on t.v. I stay in my 'I don't know bubble'

Snap, someone like me, father atheist, mother catholic.  Unfortunately mother had her way and I went to a convent, what hell that was.  I hate religion, its all a con, if I land up in hell so be it, but I think I served hell time already at school.

GrannyMac

« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »

Firenze, anyone different from whatever 'norm' they inhabit at the time can be a target.  How we look, think, speak, our values, our affiliations.   My OH used to say its a pity that some of those who say 'take us as you find us' don't apply the same rules to themselves.  Religion was a big divider in Scotland, catholics and 'proddies' on opposite sides.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

klondike

« Reply #35 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:21:52 PM »
Snap, someone like me, father atheist, mother catholic.  Unfortunately mother had her way and I went to a convent, what hell that was.  I hate religion, its all a con, if I land up in hell so be it, but I think I served hell time already at school.
You are well positioned to avoid hellfire though being a lapsed Catholic. All you need is a deathbed confession and absolution will be yours. You probably won't even get stuck with all the Hail Marys if you leave it late enough.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Jacqueline

« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »
You are well positioned to avoid hellfire though being a lapsed Catholic. All you need is a deathbed confession and absolution will be yours. You probably won't even get stuck with all the Hail Marys if you leave it late enough.

I'm not lapsed, according to the church I'm a heretic!!!!

klondike

« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:30:32 PM »
Confess to that too then  ;D

biglouis

« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:13:40 PM »
My father's mother married twice - first to a Catholic and then to someone high in the Orange order. How's that for a screwed up family? He was brought up by a protestant aunt but his half brothers and sisters were all Catholics. To them we were "sinners". My mother was from a C of E family and they married in a Registry office during wartime. I became an atheist at the age of 11 (long story). Later I switched to agnostic.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:32:15 PM »
Hi. My name is zoony and I'm an agnostic..

Have to say that The Church, the Mosque and the Synagogue have been awfully quiet about and during this pandemic affair.. Or am I wrong?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Jacqueline

« Reply #40 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:57:04 AM »
Hi. My name is zoony and I'm an agnostic..

Have to say that The Church, the Mosque and the Synagogue have been awfully quiet about and during this pandemic affair.. Or am I wrong?

Right there Zoony, in the old days they would have been preaching it was a punishment from god for all our wickedness, perhaps that won't wash these days.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2020, 02:00:16 AM »
Well, according to a number of reader’s letters in the early days of lockdown, the reaction of the CoE bishops was positively unhelpful
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

biglouis

« Reply #42 on: Oct 25, 2020, 02:46:56 AM »
I dont deny the (probable/possible) existence of a higher power which created the universe. However I reject the idea of a (male) god to whom we need to pray and make placatory gestures inside a certain type of building (church, mosque, etc)
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

klondike

« Reply #43 on: Oct 25, 2020, 03:37:01 AM »
Do you think there is an even higher power that made your higher power? Where does it stop?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #44 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »
It doesn’t, which I find impossible to comprehend
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!