Author Topic: lock down how are you coping,?  (Read 16809 times)

Alfred

lock down how are you coping,?
« on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:32:55 AM »
As for myself iv added a couple of  amazon e reader books to my e reader, and added a couple of tv programmes to my T.V  and desk top,
for example iv added mah-jong as well as patience, plus  brit box and Pluto T.V  as well,

also Pluto is a free tv programme to watch  so you might like it ,?

my wife's about to start knitting again, and my daughter about to start crocheting ,

and of course in between  dusting , spring cleaning around the house is another thing which occupying time, put to good use,

Q; so what are you doing to combat boredom, what are you doing, and will you share your thoughts' with us,

Sheila

Re: lock down how are you coping,?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:40:32 AM »
I normally knit cannula sleeves for dementia patients in the local hospital.  If someone with dementia has a cannula fitted, they tend to pull it out so a group of us make colourful sleeves with lots of safe 'twiddles' that can be played with.  At the moment the hospital is not accepting them so I am making worry monsters. 

These are crazy monsters with a pocket behind the mouth.  Therapists use them when talking to troubled children.  The children can write down their problem and 'post' it into the monster's mouth.  There is a waiting list of therapists who are waiting for these items.  If you know anyone who may help, the group is called Knit for Nowt.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
A good question. Even a full lockdown, provided Tesco still deliver and I am still allowed out for my walk in the park, wouldn’t be very different from now for me. However, I don’t like ‘now’ - not at all. I feel, I don’t know what to call it - diminished?
I hate not being able to live as we used to, but have to accept that the way things are is going to remain for quite a time, possibly for ever?
How to combat boredom? I read a lot, play chess against the computer (it is perhaps indicative that I now set it to a level where I always win) watch TV, in front of which I frequently fall asleep, and that’s about it. Now the dark evenings are with us things will get worse - in spring and summer if I felt the walls closing in of an evening I could go out for a walk or a drive, but obviously no longer.
Am I happy? Absolutely not
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »

Hi Alfred.. I am coping alright.. Many changes though.. Online shopping.. Online lottery and papers delivered..
 I miss the freedom of visiting places .. talking without a face mask and hugging..
The repeats on the tv are becoming boring and the liive shows just don't seem the same..
I missed a couple of holidays but managed one weekend away..

Love to you and your wife.

This time next year..!!!   as Del Boy says..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Traveller

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
In some ways, it's business as usual here.  There are no longer any amenities in the village, so it's always been the case of travelling to town for shopping, fuel, getting the car serviced etc..    There's plenty of walking and we have a biggish garden.
HOWEVER ....  we hate the way that our lifestyle has been put on hold... No foreign travel, theatres closed, campsites closed,  National trust properties closed,  pubs closed etc....
We've lost any trust in government and so called 'experts' to get us through this.  We're tired of being asked to 'Protect the NHS'  while thousands are suffering and dying from being unable to access health services.

As they say, "There are no gods and precious few heroes",  but we could do with a few at this time. 

Rant over.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
We're not doing too well.

My wife has little strength in her legs & I've been having to help her to walk but for the last two weeks I've been having to help her to even get out of bed to go to the en-suite or the commode, whichever she's able to reach.

She's been classed as bed-bound, after a phone call, by the physio people who are coming to assess her at some point in the future & the surgery said they would get the district nurse to administer the flu jab but the nurse says she won't do it for anyone who can get out of the house!!!

The surgery has made an appointment for her flu jab on Wednesday & will come out to the car to do it, but it's highly unlikely that I'll be able to get her down the stairs & into the car.

I'm very tempted to let her go onto the floor where I'll stand no chance of lifting her & then giving the phone a dose of 999.

Or get her into the car, drive her to Dover & be found collapsed on the beach, unable to speak any English.

She'll then be in hospital within a few minutes.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
Phil, surely your good lady can’t get out of the house in any reasonably interpreted manner?
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »
Phil, surely your good lady can’t get out of the house in any reasonably interpreted manner?
Mike

No she can't & I thought that her situation would have raised flags at the surgery as it was her GP who made the physio referral.

She won't be able to get to the surgery on Wednesday so we'll wait & see if that raises any concerns.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »
good luck Diasi its a hard time but you both have an inner strength that you will need
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
good luck Diasi its a hard time but you both have an inner strength that you will need

Thanks crabby.

We've both got the inner strength, it's the physical strength that's the issue.

I can still lift quite heavy weights (i.e. paving slabs etc) but a person in an awkward position & in a confined space is a different matter.

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
even nurses are trained just to do this
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
even nurses are trained just to do this

Yes they are trained but my daughter says that one nurse on their own wouldn't attempt to do it as it can cause injury to the person being lifted as well as to the person doing the lifting.

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »
lifting apparatus is available, perhaps Granny Mac might know how you might access it...

Ashy

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »
Everyone knows that a heavy woman is a two man lift.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »
lifting apparatus is available, perhaps Granny Mac might know how you might access it...
Depending on several factors, some lifting appliances really need someone trained in their use. It used to embarrass me that, whereas up to about 50 years of age, I could pick up someone of Veronica's weight -8 stone - and carry them a hundred yards or so, no problem. by the time Veronica became disabled and such an ability would have been useful, by then, at 70 years of age, I could longer do it. I am sure that it would be perfectibility acceptable not to do anything of the sort with your wife - and given the fragility of we oldies, what might it do to your back if you even tried - so if you can't safely get her to the car, she surely can't leave the house
Mike