Author Topic: lock down how are you coping,?  (Read 16806 times)

Michael Rolls

Re: lock down how are you coping,?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »
Everyone knows that a heavy woman is a two man lift.
Very true. Once, when gainfully employed, a colleague of mine, and a good friend of both Veronica and myself, visited a geriatric ward, accompanied by the ward sister. As we arrived, a lady in a side room attempted to get out of bed and fell to the floor. Clearly agitated by the happening, and not expecting two drones from HQ to be of any use, the ward sister looked around, only to realize that she had no staff to summon - all busy (and our geriatric wards were notoriously minimally staffed). No problem - I simply picked the lady up and placed her back on the bed whilst the ward sister and Bronwen , friend/colleague, sorted things out. it was nice to feel useful for once!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:48:51 PM »
Depending on several factors, some lifting appliances really need someone trained in their use. It used to embarrass me that, whereas up to about 50 years of age, I could pick up someone of Veronica's weight -8 stone - and carry them a hundred yards or so, no problem. by the time Veronica became disabled and such an ability would have been useful, by then, at 70 years of age, I could longer do it. I am sure that it would be perfectibility acceptable not to do anything of the sort with your wife - and given the fragility of we oldies, what might it do to your back if you even tried - so if you can't safely get her to the car, she surely can't leave the house
Mike

Indeed, the problem hinges on the word 'safely' & no, she hasn't left the house for at least six weeks & that was only to go for a blood test.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
Maybe slightly off the subject but this could be useful to someone.

I am no longer able to get in and out of the bath so we are having it taken out and a large shower installed, bit enough to take a seat it necessary.

I discovered by accident that, as I have a chronic illness, I do not have to pay VAT on this and saved £290.  I just had to sign a brief declaration and provide proof for the shop’s records.  I gave them one of my shielding letters.

Ashy

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
The days when I could walk up the high street and pick up a girl are sadly gone.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
Maybe slightly off the subject but this could be useful to someone.

I am no longer able to get in and out of the bath so we are having it taken out and a large shower installed, bit enough to take a seat it necessary.

I discovered by accident that, as I have a chronic illness, I do not have to pay VAT on this and saved £290.  I just had to sign a brief declaration and provide proof for the shop’s records.  I gave them one of my shielding letters.

We've got an electric bath seat, it doesn't half make her twitch when I turn on the power. ;D

We've had it a few years from when she had a similar problem but had to pay VAT because she didn't have an official diagnosis of the problem.

https://mangarhealth.com/uk/store/product/bathing/archimedes-bath-lift/
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »
Phil, I suspect you're pretty knowledgeable about available help, however this website might be of help to others.  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/home-adaptation

I hope your wife can get her flu jab at home.  A bit of common sense needed I fear.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Jacqueline

« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »
My daughter had a serious car accident in 1993 when she was 21, she spent three months in hospital.  She was eventually put in an orthopaedic ward with predominantly old ladies with broken hips and bones.  Most people needed help or lifting including a lady with dementia who was constantly trying to get out of bed.  There were two staff only on the ward so I went in every day to help my daughter as the staff were struggling to cope.  Doesn't sound like much has changed.

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:56:33 PM »
Phil, I suspect you're pretty knowledgeable about available help, however this website might be of help to others.  https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/home-adaptation

I hope your wife can get her flu jab at home.  A bit of common sense needed I fear.

Actually I'm not as we've never asked for any help so I'll have a read. Thanks for the link.

P.S The link shows page not found so I'll browse the NHS website.

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
Actually I'm not as we've never asked for any help so I'll have a read. Thanks for the link.

P.S The link shows page not found so I'll browse the NHS website.

Sorry about that, it showed up on my iPad earlier.  Now on the desktop I'm getting the same message.  Necessary aids and adaptations that cost less than £1k should be provided free by your local council.   

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/household-gadgets-and-equipment-to-make-life-easier/

R. Gervais

crabbyob

« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
why cant Mike who has nothing to do and all day to do it,                                                                           go live at Diasi's and lift the lady in and out of or into wherever she requires
job done... Diasi is an expert grass cutter so you could form a co-op... then Scrumpy might also visit
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

My love to you and your wife Phil..
When Sam was unable to do everyday things I remember a Sister at the hospital saying to me.. ‘Get all the help you can .. Never let pride decide for you.’

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:00:51 PM »

My love to you and your wife Phil..
When Sam was unable to do everyday things I remember a Sister at the hospital saying to me.. ‘Get all the help you can .. Never let pride decide for you.’

Good advice Scrumpy.  The carer must care for themself too.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »
Sorry about that, it showed up on my iPad earlier.  Now on the desktop I'm getting the same message.  Necessary aids and adaptations that cost less than £1k should be provided free by your local council.   

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/household-gadgets-and-equipment-to-make-life-easier/

Thanks for the link, funnily enough we've already bought many of the items listed to help independent living, but at least we know they're the recommended items.

We did have a quick look at the carer help but didn't bother reading any further than the needs assessment where it basically says "what a pity you saved for a private pension & don't get Pension Credit".

Scrumpy

« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »
“What a pity you saved for a private pension& don’t get pension credit..”

Bloody disgusting.. Losers become the winners..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alfred

« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2020, 06:18:33 PM »
Hello Scrumpy, im sorry for a belated reply as iv only just switched onto the forum,

thank you for your very kind words , i hope you and your family are also keeping well, and coping with the lockdown and all that it comes with it
many regards ,

alfred,.