Author Topic: old brains  (Read 469 times)

crabbyob

old brains
« on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »
2014 - Dr. Michael Ramscar and a team of scientists suggested that the brains of older people only appear to slow down because they have so much information to compute, much like a full-up hard drive. “The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.”  
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

Re: old brains
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:18:52 PM »
In general I think the world does not make enough use of older brains.

Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
2014 - Dr. Michael Ramscar and a team of scientists suggested that the brains of older people only appear to slow down because they have so much information to compute, much like a full-up hard drive. “The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.”

I didn't know about this Doctors theory, but husband and I came to this conclusion ourselves, can we plug in extra memory sticks?

I can hear a 1950/60s song I've not heard since and sing along with all the lyrics, where is that stored?

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2020, 01:30:58 PM »
yes of course you can its called 'lap-top' or 'tablet' or if you really need help
'ask husband' often works
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »
I too have a very good memory.. Stored away are the words from songs that my mother sang when I was a child..

‘ There’s nothing left for me.. Of days that used to be..
They’re just a memory among my souvenirs..’

I can still sing it to this day..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »
I can too..My dad was a big fan of Connie Francis..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
I’d forgotten her
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

granny moss

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2020, 07:31:32 PM »
Old people have more things to remember.....and the cells get clogged..... :D gmx

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:14:55 AM »
‘ There’s nothing left for me.. Of days that used to be..
They’re just a memory among my souvenirs..’

Some letters tied with blue A photograph or two I find a rose from you Among my souvenirs

A few more tokens rest Within my treasure chest And though they do their best To bring me consolation

I count them all apart And as my teardrops start I find a broken heart Among my souvenirs

Very poignant words even after all these years - I didnt have to look them up on google.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2020, 01:02:49 AM »
We must remember, there wasn't a lot to listen to in those black and white days..It was a huge hit and heard on radio all the time and, crucially, on the new-fangled tv box.. Bridged the generations and is fondly remembered by more than us. Play that at any gathering of wrinklies and the vast majority would connect deeply with it..There wouldn't be a dry thigh in the house..To quote a man I once heard..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:24:29 AM »
Most odd. Name most of the reasonably well known singers of that era and a mental picture flicks out of the little grey cells, but even looking at her photo I cannot bring her to mind. Oh, I remember the name, once I had been reminded (!), but that's all - and yet she one of the big names of the time.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:26:05 AM »
Just read some of her life story on Wikipedia  - she is still with us, aged 82 and has clearly had a pretty hard life, including being raped in an hotel - assailant never caught - unable to sing for four years , at one stage totally losing her voice. The lady hasn't had it easy
Mike

Scrumpy

« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:42:43 AM »

I don't think I am wrong but  'Among My Souvenirs' goes further back then Connie Francis.. My Mum was singing it when I was around four years old.. Also I went into hospital to have my tonsils out and a nurse on the ward would sing it too..

biglouis...  Lovely words.. I'm surprised and pleased that others remember the song..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

klondike

« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:46:12 AM »
So long and thanks for all the fish

Scrumpy

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:49:05 AM »

There you go...  Thank you Klondike..